• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fresh water shrimp?

I've noticed alot of the perch in the slews around here have shrimp in there mouth when we catch them and now noticed you can buy them as bait. I've never seen a bait shop here in SD selling them but wondered if anyone has tried them and how they worked. I ordered a pint of them off of the internet and should get them next week, they sure seem like they would be a natural bait for pan fish.

Fresh water shrimp are plentiful in waters were geese or ducks frequent when migrating, they spread them as the shrimp travel in there pin feathers. This is a good thing they grow sumo perch, high pro-diet piggy food.

They are too hard to use as bait in my experience but a great substitution is magi's or Euro Larva. Larva are a larger target and will produce more fish on average in a wider variety of conditions.

If they are fussy use 1 larva on a simple 1/32 jig or a tiny long shank hook with a subtle presentation. Once you see them on the flasher STOP all the movement and let them eat it.

Even though shrimp are plentiful in the system, they may not be the best bait going, just the easiest to find. Often the perch like the change of minnows or larvae over shrimp so be prepared.

Seeing lots of shrimp is great, you find food you soon find fish.

Another tip is shrimp are vertically photo sensitive in the water column, they move up and down in the water column in the course of any given day. You will see walleye and perch ridding way up off bottom frequently when they are sucking up the shrimp. If you notice fish or clouds of shrimp ridding high your baits should be up there too.

You can see clouds of shrimp on a Vexilar if you turn up the sensitivity a bit, look for them.

Bigger SUMO perch tend to feed up more then down, just like piggy walleye will. Big perch start to act more like there big cousins the walleye once they reach the 1# plus range.

wink.gif

Good hunting!

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-07-2002).]

Used shrimp for gills and crappies many times with great success...I first tried them when the fish were not taking the usual baits...work very well!!!!

I agree that they can be hard to use. A great alternative that I found this summer was Dan Gapens freshwater shrimp jigs. Great for panfish and walleye smile.gif

Paul

It never fails to amaze me that 10 pound + northerns get plumb full of those little criters.

It's the reason that Devils Lake fisherman need to fish slow. No self especting fish wants to be seen by his school mates running to the lunch room. wink.gif

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I'm supposed to get my shrimp from Vados today so I'll be able to try them this week end. We've had a slow perch/bluegill bite, so I'll put them to the test. I'll let you know how they worked when I get back to my computer on Monday. Be safe on the ice this weekend!!!!!!