• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size heater for a one man portable?

I just purchased a Rover Shappell (one man portable) and am in the market to buy a heater for it. I have seen heaters on hsolist like the Coleman focus 3 for real cheap. It gives out 3000btu's. Will that be enough? Or will I have to shell out $80 for the Buddy heater? I'm thinking 9000btu's will be too warm.

Basstracker

[This message has been edited by basstracker34 (edited 01-03-2002).]

Basstracker, It would make a difference what temperature variance you will be fishing. I use an adjustable setting 11,000 BTU propane heater in my 4'X6' canvas house and have fished in temps from 50 degrees below zero to 40 degrees above, it's nice to have plenty of heating power when it really gets cold and windy, and when it gets too warm I just open the door.

I have had good luck using my coleman Northstar Lantern on a 5#tank. I used it all last season and all through the christmas vacation this year and had no trouble staying warm. If I do get a little chilly I just think of stacking hay bales in last summers 95degree 10000%hum. heat!!
that warms me up!!

Hi Basstracker, I use a fishtrap II with a Mr. Heater Junior which puts out 3000 btu. Its just not enough on the windy days. Last year on Red at 10 below and stiff winds I could barely keep the holes open. Now that the Buddys are down to $80 I will be buying the next one I find cool.gif ! Best of Luck.
PolarBear

The 9,000 btu buddy heater by Mr heater is the only way to go. It's catalytic safe to burn indoors no fumes also has alow setting at 4,000 btu. Love heats great!! $89.99

Just bought a buddy heater last week. Was windy on the lake this weekend,. It kept blowing out on me. I have a fish trap pro and it was fine for heating. But, it kept blowing out. I had to move it around to get it out of the brezzy spots. Nice to have a electronic ignition.
Will work great when it's cold and not windy.

Seems to me 4000 btu's just isn't enough on a windy around zero kinda day. As air leaky as the trap style portables are you really don't have to worry to much about fumes.