• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

augers

MAYBE A SAD QUESTION BUT DOES ANYBODY MAKE A COMBO ICE AND FENCE POST AUGER? THE MOTOR HEADS AND AUGERS, EXCEPT FOR THE BLADES SURE LOOK THE SAME.

Can't give you any guarantees but I think you are right on the money. A friend of mine has an older power auger and if I remember correctly, he said he could by a new earth auger head for about $100. The biggest problem is dirt is a heck of a lot tougher to drill through than ice. When I've seen them used on home improvement shows, it took two people to control it. My buddy has always shyed away from buying one for that reason.

79ICE, just bought such a unit. It's an Eskimo 3HP powerhead renamed "Earthquake"($300) with a shark ice auger($60) and a 5" dirt auger ($90). I got mine at a local store. You can get them a little cheaper from Nothern Hydraulics. I've used it on about 30 holes and like it alot. I first saw one that a neighbor had and it dug in dirt pretty well, but haven't tried it on soil yet for myself. They say if you have rocky soil, hold on tight.

Funny story about dirt augers:
My wife got this great idea, lets fence in the back yard, right? I said, ok. So I come home from work one day, and there's all the fencing, posts and all, stacked up in the yard. She says, "well, there you go". I say, I didn't know you wanted ME to do it? Ha!!
So anyway, I go to the rental place and rent the biggest auger they have, after digging on hole by hand in solid modeling clay. I'm a big guy, and I got a buddy of mine that wasn't so big, to help with the auger. So we are drilling away and he's having a little bit of a hard time holding on. Well, we did alright, until we hit a big, really big, root. The thing digs in man, and off he goes, doing one of the keytone cop things, careening across the yard, off balance, bent over at the waist trying to catch himself from hittin' the dirt man. Thought I'd pee myself laughing. Ha!!
Morel is, hang on tight man, you never know what your going to hit.

Set the Hook!!

Lundman

Thanks for the replies, just got the new Northern Hydralic catalog, wife through it on my desk in the garage, guess I got reason to sit out there and have a cold one and look at it now!!

Thanks for the help everyone, Bushbunny I have a stihl dealer 5 miles from home, I have the 026 chain saw and love stihl products, I'll stop and see him maybe he can order one if he doesn't stock it. Thanks again!!