• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice house heater?

kooba

Just to let you all know that I went and bought one of the Colemen Powercats the other day and tried it out on the lake lastnight. DON"T BUY ONE.!!!! THEY ARE JUNK
!!!!!. The darn thing froze me out of the house. Need something bigger and better. What are some of the heaters you people are using? KOOBA

Think there is a post somewhere about the MrHeater Buddy heater.
I bought one. Sounds like MANY people here have also. 9000 BTU (i think) and 79.99 price tag doesnt hurt too much either. Runs on small disposable tanks or you can add a 5, 8, or 12' hose to your 20# tank.
Will be trying mine out this weekend for the first time out in the house, but from what others say its pretty darn nice.
Hope that helps.
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

Try the Poulan heater
Made of metal instead of plastic. Puts out 500 more btu than what the buddy heater actually puts out. Stays upright better on an uneven surface.
Can be found at Joes sporting goods, the bobber shop to name a few.

Terry Hagstrom
Terry's Guide Service

I like my Buddy, the throwaway bottles don't last long though, that's my only complaint. Roughly 5 hours of use on high for 1 bottle. If you get a Buddy, plan on two bottles per day. Any less and you might get in trouble. They are small and convenient and don't burn clothes, the key would be a 20 lber outside the house and a hose. Then it would be great. You can even mount it on the wall if you like.

You can get a Mr. Heater for about fiddy bucks. Just screws onto a 20 pounder. You can also use a hose adapter to go remote. I use the tank on my grill in the summer and in the shack in the winter. check Northern Tool, Cabelas other outdoor places on the web.
You definately won't get cold with one of these.

Terry, where are those sporting good stores at? I am here in Little Falls. What are the prices on the heater? Is there a site that I could look at them? Thanks for your responses. KOOBA

I have to say if you want to warm your shack, but carry a 20 lb tank, the Mr. Cooker (8-14 kBTU) is the way to go. Out performs the Buddy heater (4-9 kBTU) and you can cook on it! I rarely have it past the 'low' setting in my 6x8 Fishmaster and I stay plenty warm when it's around 0.

------------------
hook'm and cook'm

[This message has been edited by LMITOUT (edited 01-02-2002).]

The nice thing about the Buddy heater is that you don't get a headache from using it indoors like some of the other heaters do, plus it throws a lot of heat. I had mine out in my Fishtrap III over the weekend, 2 above with a wind and I was warm enough, but if you 're in a portable you still have to dress for it. You do go thru the cylinders but in a couple of weeks we'll be driving on the lakes and then its onto the permanent house with roasty toasty wood heat!!

The power Cat that Kooba mentions is a catalytic heater. It's definately not meant for heating very large areas or for very cold tempratures. It only has 3,000 BTUs which isn't much for a heater. I think most radiant heaters are about 9,000+.

The good thing about the Power Cat heaters is that they don't give off much carbon monoxide at all. I've had mine for about 5 months. I used it while elk hunting in the mountains and deer hunting in Minnesota. Both times I slept in a tent with 1 other person and the outside temprature got down to about 20f. The PowerCat worked fine in those cases (9 days total). The batteries lasted for both hunting trips and the 1lb propane cylinders ran for 7-8 hours.

Hope this helped someone.
- Rick

For disposing of old 1lb propane tanks, just throw them in the garbage. That is apparently the only way to get rid of them. Not easy to refill them and is dangerous so better off just buying more each time. If someone has another way of getting rid of the 1lb tanks let me know.

Basstracker34

I use a Mr. Heater on a short 10# propane tank.Easy to haul and will heat a portable shack more than enough.I just have the doors zipped open a little bit for air.You can get the short tanks at Fleet Farm.Later.

i use a sunflower heater on a 20lb tank in my trap guide and i have never used it above 'low', it is usually just right in there to run it on low but sometimes it can be like a sauna, then i jut crank the valve down so just enuf propane is flowing thru to keep the flame going...

If I'm not mistaken, the "Poulan", "Sunflower" and "Mr Heaters" are all the same type of heater. I just saw the Poulan brand at Menards for less than $40.

Like Sinker is equipped, I bought a short 10-pound tank, mounted my Mr. Heater on it. Easy to haul and great heat.

i use a 11 lb tank with a new heat demon purchased at home depo for 37.99,replaced the mr heater after 12 yrs and no problems,the demon has 10-12-15000 btu,last weekend in the claim around zero,low setting was just fine