• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brainard or Forest Lake Ice Contest?

Bob Horn

me and my buddies are hopin to get over to the forest lake ice contest this year, if they let us we want to bring the Aqua-Vu along. Does anyone know if they have any rules against this? Anyhow they are always a great time, but you are always shoulder to shoulder and the drone of ice augers never stops. If you are out for a nice sunday of ice fishin I wouldn't reccomend it but if you like tourneys then go for it. Maybe we can even meet out there. Oh ya fish aren't too common. You have to be out there more for the good times than the fishin.

I've fished both contests and it was OK. Lots of people for sure! The odds probably aren't good that you'll catch something worthy of a grand prize, but there is always that chance.

It's impressive to see all those people out on that small of an area at one time. I'd like to see underwater at all those lines and lures. Must look like a maze to a fish. It can be a fun time if you bring a couple buddies with.

------------------
hook'm and cook'm

I've been to both. Brainerd once, Forest Lake twice. I like Forest Lake better as far as enjoyment. You can park on the edge of the plowed roads and there is a "shotgun" start. That is worth the entry fee alone as long as you don't get trampled. I think there is a better chance of catching fish at Brainerd though. The first 150 fish were registered in the first 45 minutes last year! Participants are not allowed to drive on the lake and are bussed to the access from parking lots all over the area. Either one is a hoot to be involved in though. Enjoy!

I would highly recommend going to either contest. I have been to the forest lake contest a few times. I have seen very few fish caught, but was fortunate enough to catch one myself. It is a huge rush to be out there, and set the hook and have your pole bend over, worrying it will get away, knowing it is "in the money". Running up to the judges stand, it is all a great time. Big prizes too, if your lucky. And i know that electronics are legal, but i thought that cameras were not. Good Luck!