• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polar Escape HT ice shelter for $130 should I buy one?

What does everyone think of the polar escape HT single ice shelter? Mills Fleet Farm has them on sale for $130 this week. Are they comparable in anyway in quality etc to the clam and trap shelters? Don't want to buy junk but don't want to spend a fortune either.

Basstracker34

Basstracker,
I'm no expert because I've never owned an ice shelter before (always been a die-hard bucket sitter), but I bought the Polar Escape on Friday and used it on both Saturday and Sunday and was very pleased. Its roomier than I thought it would be when I first bought it. It's got a good rugged cover that cuts the wind out completely and is very portable -- sets up instantaneously on the ice and has a nice wide body sled to carry minnows, a bucket, etc.. and has windows on all four sides for good vision and plenty of light.
Today I even set up a little portable heater inside and was fishing without a jacket, hat, or mittens in 10 degree temps (well below zero windchill).
I'm sure there may be other shelters around that are a little nicer, but I for one think I got my 130 bucks worth.
Hope that helps,
Tight lines,
Spike

Hey Spike,
Is the sled big enough to fit a gas auger in it? Did that fish house come with a chair inside? Can you get your ice house into your car trunk like they say it can?

Charles

I use a hand auger but I think a power auger would fit too. It doesn't come with a chair but the assembly instructions mentioned there was a chair available at an addtional cost. It doesn't fit into the trunk of my Taurus (although it may, I didn't try too hard) but it does fit into the back seat.

Do you just use a metal chair or a bucket for a seat then? Guess a chair isn't worth an extra $100 like the traps cost. It also mentioned that there is room to accomodate 2 holes for one person comfortably. Have you tryed 2 holes? How does it fish with just one hole?

Charles

Basstracker,
i just use a bucket inside the sled -- still the easiest and cheapest way to go plus you can carry stuff in it on your way to your favorite hiney hole. I usualy set up a tip-up outside of the shelter so I haven't used two holes inside but you easily could do so.

I ended up buying a Rover Shappell. It was only $50 more than the HT and it had a sled that seemed more sturdy. What size heater do you use(BTU)?

Thanks
Basstracker34