• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Vexilar FL-18 worth $100 more than FL-8slt?

I posted this a few days ago, but have a feeling the subject "flashers" didn't catch enough attention. Thanks for your reply, Mankato!

Can anyone please share their experience with the Vexilar FL-18? I just sold my Zercom Clearwater Classic, and am looking to buy a Vex. The Zercom worked okay, but never was really good at picking up a tiny teardrop in water much deeper than 12'. I normally don't ice fish in water deeper than 50', and more often in 20 - 35'. I need to order one ASAP as the temp finally broke here in SW Michigan and ice will be forming quickly (with any luck). I don't want to be fishing blind, but want to know if the extra $100 for the FL-18 is worth it or would it be better spent on barley sodas. Tight lines and flyin' flags!

The Fl-8 does a fine job, the 18 paints a more detailed picture. I will stick with the Fl-8 for now. I have no problem with micro jigs in 30+ feet.

Cold one SD,
FYI, The bobber stop bead goes on the other side of the slip bobber.

I believe the FL-18 gives you more bang for your buck. If anyone plans on buying a flasher in the next 6 months I would definitely reccomend the FL-18 because it has all the little extra features like Split Screen Display which comes in handy when fishing for something that is holding tight to the bottom. I also like the idea of bottom lock if one is gonna also hook the flasher up to their boat in the summer. Overall if you can afford the FL-18 right now I would reccomend it, even if you have to wait for 2 weeks to pick up the extra paycheck I would say that it is definetly worthwhile to wait. Although if you can't afford the FL-18 I would reccomend the FL-8 because this is still a very good unit. All in all just like everything else in this world it comes down to the $$$ issue. Well, I guess it might also come down to the type of fish your chasin' if your goin after perch or walleye its a no brainer all the way <<FL-18>> but if you are in search of the elusive northern I am pretty sure you could get by with an FL-8. I just believe if you are puttin down the moolah already why not go all out and get the best.

Thanks coldone, but I was jigging at the time and I don't think a little bit of red above my jigging spoon hurts a thing. Kinda like the old Preparation H ointment trick. Thanks anyhooooo. I hope you are having better luck than I am. I have been on vacation for almost two weeks now and have made it to the lakes for about two half days. Putting Mom in assisted living type stuff and she doesn't want to go. Bummer!

I just picked up one of those FL-18's tonight and I'm looking forward to putting it thru the tests in the morning against my FL-8. I've had my Fl-8 since "92" and I've not had any problems with it. BUT! I'm sure interested in founding out if I'm missing something that's hanging on the bottom.

Thanks everyone! You made up my mind for me. I'll try and let everyone know how the FL-18 works, as we should have some safe ice on a few shallower lakes around here in a few more days.

On the way up to the lake last weekend I was thinking that if a guy had an FL-8 it wouldn't be worth it to upgrade. I hadn't really thought that much of the AZ feature from using it on smaller lakes. Upon getting to LOW and really using the AZ feature I can't imagine not having it. It's so awesome. In 29 feet I would set my gain to about 2 and my jigging Rapala tipped with a minnow head would show up as red. I'd sit and hammer the bottom a few times and then jig it up to about 3 feet off and slowly let it go down. Watching the FL18 on the AZ side you could see on the zero mark one line of green and yellow interchanging and then slowly the bottom red would rise up off the bottome. Then I'd get that jig down there and pull that fish off the bottom and get the advantage in my favor. It was a great time and I know you would not be disaapointed in the FL-18 it was great. The only trouble I had was with the IR. We had two in the house and I'd press that button and the interference would be gone, and then after awhile it would come back. I could always get it to work, but I just thought I had to mess with it more than I wanted to. Still an exceptional unit.

Good post about Lake of the Woods. I am going up there in 1 1/2 weeks. I can''t wait to use my Fl 18. I the Az mode worked great for me in 10 feet of water. I was able to pull in a lot of perch this weekend because of this.

Used my FL-18 for the first time last weekend. The difference is unbelieveable. The FL-8 is practically useless now when bottom fishing. Spend the additional $90.

Thanks Ukalum, I just received my FL-18 in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to get out on the ice tonight to try it out. Reed's had a great price at $379.99 (for "Reed's Pack", which I can't tell is any different than a Pro Pack) with free shipping! I'm sure it's going to be an improvement over my old Zercom. . .

I just bought my FL-18 Friday night. The thing is great. I can easily see fish on or near the bottom, even when my cousin is right next to me with his FL-8 (He can't see the fish) Plus my unit eliminates intereference VERY well. The FL-18 is definately worth the extra $100. Plus, I got over $100 off of mine thanks to gift certificates smile.gif GOOOOD LUCK!!!!!

Rusty

Wow!
Great post.
I had no Idea the FL-18 was that much different than the FL-8.
I got my FL-8 back in 1990 from Ted Capra!
Still have it mounted in the WOOD gray box that was the IN thing to have back then.
Changed transducers since, but it still works just fine!
Tuff!
Have had many good nights on the hard water with it over the years.
We were one of the first people to have them in the Chisago Lakes area besides the guys from Frankies and man did we have fun with them. Pooled our money to get one and shared it. Swithcing off from hole to hole every half hour!
Fun stuff.
Put away our tax refunds from our real jobs and our guide tips the next summer so we could all have one and the girl friends to!
What a blast!
wink.gif
Sounds like the NEW FL-18 can profide some NEW and different kinds of fishing fun and maybe even and edged or to when fishing a new lake or in the crowds!
Maybe pick up a NEW FL-18 this summer for the 2003 season and mount the old stlye FL-8 on the Bow of one of my Lund Boats!

Great info guys, thanks.

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

Thanks to all of you. I finally got out to try my new pride and joy Tuesday night after work (& after dark). The thing works beautifully, and is great at eliminating interference from my buddy's old style FL-8. Marked all kinds of fish, but we figure none were the crappies we were after since they weren't interested in shiners. It's been over 40 degrees the last few days now so it looks like this could be a record short season for us here in SW Mich. Bummer.