• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rain gear

musky hunter

Question

I'm looking for new rain gear. What to get? Gore Tex is pricy at about $225, is it worth it? The cheap stuff is out, but I have some "good quality nylon" that weeps water through after an hour of rain or so. Does Schotchguarding really make things waterproof? Who really likes what they have? What is it, and what should I expect to pay?

8 answers to this question

This one gets kicked about with regularity. My answer remains constant -- Cabela's Gore-Tex Guidewear (parka and bibs). Spend it once, it lasts a good decade or beyond.

Mine even doubles as icefishing wear, as I can layer some polar fleece under it.

I'll put my plug in for Columbia. I summer fish, winter fish, and hunt waterfowl with it. Have been staying dry through many years of abuse.

I gotta give a nod to Columbia as well....
bought a set of duck gear (parka, bibs, and pants) w/ the thought of it just being for hunting. However i grew out of my dads old yellow American Clearwater set and was forced on opener a couple of years ago due to rain and cold to pull it as it was the only thing close to suitable i had. Have used it every time its gotten wet since then.

I have two sets. Cabela's Guideware which is excellent but can get warm and cumbersome at times. The other is FroggToggs. I love that stuff. It is very lightweight and it hasn't leaked yet.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

I know what you mean about expensive but it is good stuff(cabelas guide gortex).I started using stearns and its not bad stuff for the price.I just picked up a coat and bibs from Reeds in Walker for $100 bucks and its nice. something to try if you can't afford the gortex
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

As Clayton Diskerud said, buy it once use Guide were for life, very good stuff!

I too use my insulated GW for 3 seasons of guiding and tromping about, and it holds up great. I am not exactly easy on gear so I can say with certainty it is tough stuff and very effective in wet or cold conditions.

Colombia is good, as is Heley Hansen (H&H) for summer/fall or all season rain gear.

Heley Hanson also makes some very good insulated GOR TEX rain and cold weather gear.

www.sierratradingpost.com has great deals on H&H and Colombia gear, worth a peak.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-29-2002).]

Get a good pair of breathable rain wear.The problem with any nylon coatings or any non breathable gear is that they wear off or do not let moisture vapor escape.This causes you to get just as wet from your own sweat as if you were not wearing any gear at all.
I have a set of Cabelas Rainy River rain gear.It is a little cheaper(I think I paid $220 for the set) than the Guide Wear but is just as effective.It is also a little lighter so when the temps are up you will not get as warm.I have had this set of rain gear for over six years now and it is holding up well even after crawling around on muddy river banks and quite a few washer and dryer cycles.
My sister is a mountain and rock climbing instructor and uses Hely Hansen Impertech(sp?)and has had good luck with her gear.It is a little cheaper than some of the Gore Tex suits.
Get some good rain gear and be done with it.