• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Time Techniques Needed!

Hey Morroco Mole, My opinion on this matter is that the light tends to make them more shy. I believe that low light and especially low activity(movement on top of the ice)is probably more critical. But it be interesting to hear what others have to say. Otherwise good luck!

I am looking for the best nighttime techniques for Walleyes and Crappies. Should I fish under my lantern or move away about 5-10ft from the light? I tried fishing in a city of lights last year and got a fish or two but I am not sure if this is the way to go! frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Morrocco Mole (edited 12-28-2001).]

When fishing "in" a city of people...I Move to the outside most part of the people.
As snow cover gains, your lantern will have little effect on the fishing..
For Crappies after dark, try either a plain hook tipped with a crappie minnow hooked through the back under a light float(its simple but effective), or a glow jig, kept in a horizontile orientation, tipped with a wax worm, or eurolarva.
After Dark fishing on some lakes is a MUST to catch slab fish....
Good Luck and Happy New Year.
PCG

I've had good luck with both low light and lots of light. There were times when we would turn the lantern off, and the fish would stop biting, but as soon as we turned it back on they would start hitting again. I've also had experience where it was just the opposite. You have to experiment, and find out what the fish want. Good Luck!!

Rusty

Morroco,
I'm not sure of your regulations where you are from, but tip-up fishing at night can be awesome. There are some lights you can buy that attach to your tip-up. Battery operated and fairly expensive(almost $11 apiece at Cabellas).
You can continue to jig for crappies in deeper water while watching for flags placed in shallow water.

Jim W

I have had great fishing with the lantern bright, and the lantern off. I just fished two nights in a row, one night no lantern or light and the other with the lantern. Both nights had great fishing!
I've also had nights where a group of us were partying in one house, lights, noise, screaming, etc. and we nailed the walleyes all night long. We had a bet with some people in a house next to us that we would catch more fish. They were so mad that we were catching ALL the fish, they turned off their lights, made no noise and got skunked.

You never know! Location is the key to success.

I think that for the most part the effects of fishing amoung the city of lights is one of increased pressure and fish being plucked out of the system that happen to be using that part of the lake. I usually set up at least 50 yards(usually more) away from the villages. I'm fishing less pressured fish by doing so. Even if the fish are going to the villiage I generally get a crack at them first. I used to know guys who would drill holes a foot down (when there is more than a foot of ice) and put a lantern in the hole to create as much light as possible when fishing for crappies. They always did well. I don't due this because I don't beleive it's legal. But two lanterns on 5 gallon buckets while fishing in the open does throw alot of light and hasn't had any negative effects on my fishing.

As far as the tip ups at night are concerned. Watch out for snowmobiles. I have had 5 tip ups ruined by snowmobiles running them over at night in the past 4 years. I usually set them up 10-20 yards away from the house. I don't know why they have to buzz my lighted fish house that doesn't have another around for 50-300 yards but they do. It must resemble a beacon wink.gif