• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar Sun Shield Idea

Mankato-Ice-Man

I was looking at an artical about electronics in the Walleye Insider and noticed the picture. There are some guys using Vex Fl-18s and putting what looked like a black 12 to 18 inch tube of plastic tile or something on it as a sun shield.
Looks like a pretty quick and dirty solution to me, so I thought that I would pass it along.
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

Mankato Ice Man, I bought a Zercom Colorpoint at the Bobber Shop in kato last year for the simple reason that you don't need a stupid sunshade. Also the ColorPoint will give 1.5 inch target seperation while the FL8 will only give 2.5". Not to mention the colorpoint is cheaper. I'd recommend them to anyone interested in a new flasher.

Polar Bear, I had a colorpoint for about 2 weeks and sent it back after I had used it next my buddies' fl-8....not even close in performance, my battery drained faster, had interference, couldn't detect smaller teardrops, and they claim the target separation is better, but, I didn't see it when compared side by side. I got an fl-8 and couldnt be happier! Have had it 2 years and has performed flawlessly. I would love an 18, but with a 2 year fl-8 I'm hard pressed to give it up this soon for the new features of an 18...give me a year or two!

I have been looking pretty hard at all three- the Zercom, FL8, and FL18.
Two reasons I didnt want to get the Zercom are: 1) I dont think they are going to be making them any longer, so that makes me wonder how expensive repairs will be or even if they can be repaired.
2) someone posted someplace else about their reliability. They said the Bargin Cave at Cabelas always had a ton of them, so I checked Saturday and there were 5 of them that had been returned with various things wrong with them.
I would not be against getting the FL8, but it seems like when your already spending around 300.00 for something, why not wait for a pay check or two and slice off another 100.00 and get the newly improved model.
Every article I have read, person I have talked to, message board, etc has had nothing but great things to say about the FL18, so I think I will hold off and get that one.
They had the FL8 and the FL18 side by side at Cabelas and the FL18 was WAY brighter. I fish in the house 99% of the time, so brightness wouldnt be a factor.
For my money, the FL18 is my choice.

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!