• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Backwater Eddie

Sand Burr

I think your kinda the pro at this one because its on the river. I live close to a river that has a great eddie on it but the road has been blocked off. I am trying to come up with another option till I can walk the river down.

A friend of mine lives on the same river right on a 90 degree bend. Upstream from the bend its 3-4 feet and sand. The bend is 6-8 feet and sand, gravel and tree branch mix. Downstream of the bend is 2-3 feet of rocks. I have fished this place in the summer and always caught fish. In the winter I have tried to fish it late in the season and never caught anything?

Maybe I'm should be fishing it earlier in the season like now? There are numorous eyes/pike in this river. Can you give me any insight to my problem?

Under the ice flow is key to location as is forage.

Look for low flow area near brushy structures that will hold baitfish. This may be a backwater or a shallow shelf leading into a backwater on the inside bend of a river. Think along these lines, if you had to walk straight into the cold wind to get to the store to eat, would you? Or would you walk along protected areas were the wind was not in your face?

Deep holes on bends will hold fish but they are most catchable in distinct areas associated with the holes, but seldom in the main hole. Look for the exact base of the break into the basin of the hole and fallow it to it's head. If there be a sandbar or a snag that limits the flow that will be the key spot on that hole. Most bends have several bars or subtle structures that walleye will use to ambush pray or hold. Again this reflects back to the walking into the wind analogy as they expend less energy to feed.

On small to medium rivers do not be surprised to find walleye and other predatory fish in less then 3' of water under the ice, right on the bank break, sand bar or snag, at dawn or dusk or soon after.

I like to pop all my search holes early on and establish the lay of the land. Get all the noise out of the way long before peek feeding times and your odds will improve. Try one tip-up set on the break at the base of the feeder shelf and jig with your other line on your best spots. Move often if you don't get a bump or hang a fish. Good plan is to have 2 or 3 peek locations pre-drilled before you get serious about fishing. This way you will not spook walleye in shallow water when they are there eager to feed.

Jigs I like are flash spoons such as the Angel Eye Minnow, Phelps Glo-Spoons, Nils Master jigging Shads, Salmo Chubby Darters, Blade baits, and rocker minnows. Glow Demons are hard to beat on a tip-up rigged with a big fathead minnow hooked through the tail.

Ya, I like glow stuff because rivers are often murky, these murky backwaters often mean lots of fish and forage. A camera flash is a handy tool for heating up a glow jig, POP there it is. You get a charge that lasts 20 minutes and you reduce the damage done to your night vision, just make sure you close your eyes first. In very clear water flash may be best, copper or silver blue work well for me in late day and early dusk.

KEEP THE NOISE DOWN ON THE ICE!

Lot's of stuff here, got me on a roll Eh!

Hope some of it helps you out, if not ask again maybe I will get closer the second shot.

Good fishing & be forever cautious on river ice.......><,,>

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

Cool, go get em.

Another tip is thicker the ice the more likely the current is slowest there, these holding areas often freeze up first. When you find a dramatic thinning of ice it will be a sure sign of too fast of water to hold much for fish.

Good hunting & please practice selective harvest.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/