• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishouse material

Rainman

I am planning on building a retractable wheeled fishouse frame and was wondering what kind, size, and thickness of metal all the different fishouse manufacturers use on theirs. I have a habit of overdoing it on a few things and I don't want to overdo it and make this thing any heavier than it really needs to be. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Rainman

Rainman, sorry about that I misread what you wrote. I bought my frame at Frank's RV, you could call him and ask him what he uses, but I think all of mine is steel I want to say 2" x4" steel and then there are some larger pieces too. I would just stop in there and look at what he has, you should be able to look at a trailer that is currently being made to see how they do it. However, I think from that other post, you might find that the cost to buy one that has been made for you is not outrageous,...so unless you really want to build it yourself, and you already have the materials,..I would recommend looking into buying one also and weigh the cost vs. time thingy on it.

Good Luck.

Rainman, Just built a new 6.6 x 14 footer this fall. I bought the trailer from a dealer in perham.. I built it like a mini pole barn using 2x2s every 3.5 feet with 2 sets of crossbeams. I used steel and the house looks very nice. The whole project took about 2 months of here and there work with cost around $2500. It's nice to see a project that you have completed, but honestly I would spend another $500 to have them make it for you. You can cut the costs down from the dealers if you could do some of the work yourself. Good luck, Joe

I too just built a trailer frame. After learning the cost you can buy them for I wish I would have gone with that. I have about $450 into just the frame.

I used 1 1/2" X 3" 14 gauge sqaure tubing for the main body. 3" angle for the cross members. and 3" square tubing for the arms that come down for the tires. I looked a quite a few this fall and most were built about the same. Though some used 2" sqaure tubing for the arms. Some just used 3" angle for the frame and all. I seen one that had the tounge back to some angle then the angle back to the wheel assembly. (Didn't think much of that at all.

Well good luck. and price out the material before you decide. I wish I would have. I still would have built the house on trailer though.

Although have to use the tools I buy once in a while so the wife lets me buy more.