• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

big tiller question

minneman

Question

10 answers to this question

I tested a Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 with a Yamaha 80 (i cant remember but i beleive it was a 80 horse) four stroke tiller. Personally I love tiller boats, andt this one was the most fishable rig ive ever been in. Someday when I can afford it, this wiil be the one in my garage. I like tillers because it leaves the boat open without any obstructions, but thats my personal opinion.

i bought the pro v 1775 tiller last year with the 4 stroke yamaha 80 horse and i really like it............ PROS: great mileage, great top end (42 mph gps), no smoke, so quiet you dont know its running, CONS: trolls too fast, gigantic motor for its horsepower (386 pounds), expensive( i will be retired before i pay it off).... but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

Minnie Man
I have a 90 Hp Honda on my 19' Pro-V. It is an awsome runner. It is the first 4 Stroke I have owned I am sold on them. I can't tell if it is running or not when i'm in the front of the boat. It only has a top speed of 33mph but the gas milage makes up for it. I can get about 5 full days on $20. I don't think you will be disapointed. They are alot heavier than those gas guzzlin, smokey
2 strokes.

------------------
<;(((><

I've got a 75 hp Mariner on a 18'Pro-V and this motor is much easier to handle than the 25 hp Merc. I had on my last boat. My last boat did not have power trim and with the power trim on this boat there is no strain or pull whatsoever (as long as trimmed right). I would not hesitate going with a bigger tiller at all. Good Luck.

How well does a tiller motor that large handle?
I also have used smaller ones and have liked them but I would be afraid of something that powerful without a console. Should I be concerned or not?

I guess what hubcat is asking is more of what Im looking for. the 4strokes I know would be the way to go, however the ones ive been checking out are 2 strokes, used,94-98 lund models, w/90-100 hp, are they tough to hold on to? how about in rough water, are ya wornout after 5 mi. I know my 35 is tough enough in those conditions,

My 90 hp does pull when I'm planing out but once I am up to speed it is very easy on me. If the trim is not adjusted perfectly it can get to be a bear. I would sugest a foot trim it helps to adjust it when you are at high speeds.

------------------
<;(((><

I have a 100 hp 4 stroke on a 185 Alumacraft and I will tell you when it is going real slow like not close to plane it pulls. That don't happen real often,for the most part it handles like a dream.I never thought they could put togaather a tiller that big and still be able to handle it.I would'nt be afraid of getting one if I were you
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

I have a Tourny Pro 195 with the 90hp Honda and would agree that the PROS out do the CONS. Long trips over rough water will give you a sore hand and shoulder, and at low speeds, when your nose is in the air, your vision is limited. Otherwise the boat control and wide open floor plan, makes for a truely enjoyable fishing experience.

If I could have two boats, a console would be nice. But I won't give up the floor room.