• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to sharpen hand auger blades?

I have a 6" lazer auger and after 2 years of use now the blades are preyy dull. How can I sharpen them;dremel tool?,or should I send them in to strikemaster to be sharpened? Any help appreciated.

What I did for my old hand auger was to exchange blades with local bait shop. They will take your old blades and give you new. It was really cheap cost and seems easier than mailing blades.

I agree with basstracker, take them to your bait shop, they'll trade with new sharpened ones. I pay around $ 7.50 for a set. Much cheaper than slicing my fingers on them or buying a sharpener.

Val
boat.gif

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 12-22-2001).]

I can turn a set of kinda sharp hand auger blades into child safe toys in seconds, so I send them out, it is cheaper for me by far to do so.

Tapered blades are very tricky to sharpen, too tricky for me anyway. I can do a mean job on a Jiffy power auger and that is due to they are a flat plained surface and nothing too fancy to deal with, just keep your angle and your ok.

Tapers need a jig to get them honed to the correct angle, very few guys can eyeball them and get them correct.

Get 2 sets of blades so you have one sharp set on hand all the time. You will save yourself a lot of frustration in the end.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

If you trade them in make sure the angle looks the same as the old ones. I didn't check that once and got some blades that cut worse than the ones I traded in. So now when I trade them in I always look at the angle.

I would go with the blade exchange that Strikemaster offers. That option is cheaper than new replacement blades. Strikemaster also sells a blade sharpener as well. You can see it at their HSOforum.

A friend of mine borrowed my old Mora one time and did me a big favor by "sharpening" the blades before he returned it to me. Next time out, the thing would barely cut through the snow on TOP of the ice (fortunately he was with me so I could rub it in!). Everything ws better after I purchased a new set of blades. Now I carry an $8 Gary Roach (I forget the manufacturer) blade sharpener in my box and touch them up every couple times out. These blades are about 5 seasons old now and my friends are always amazed at how well it cuts. If yours are trashed, I'm sure they're beyond saving. You can seriously extend the life of your new pair (not to mention your shoulders!) with one of these cheap sharpeners and a little WD40 or silicone spray to prevent rust, however.