• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I purchase an fl-8slt?

I currently own a humminbird 2460c flasher and am wanting to make a step up in the electronic technology. What do you guys think of the fl-8slt? Is the pro pack really worth it or is the economy pack ok? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

the fl-8 is great. i wouldn't go fishing without it. u might want to look into the fl-18 if u are willing to spend a little more money... the fl-8 is a great unit, and i'd definitely invest in that or the fl-18 if i were u. how deep of a lake do u usually fish on?

One season after using my fl-8 I wondered how I ever caught fish before I got it. I know nothing about the 18 however everyone I know is getting one. You should get the pro pack which one you get though. In my opinion you might as well get it all at once because you will end up buying it all in the future.

The Zercom Colorpoint flasher has better target seperation than the fl-8 and the display gets updated more often so it's less jumpy, it's also less exspensive.
I have owned one for two years and I love it.
I hope I didn't just open a can of worms.

The FL-8SLT economy pack is a good choice for the following reasons:

1: It is $30 cheaper
2: It takes up less space than the pro-pack...I carry mine inside my tackle bag.
3: It dosen't have the battery status indicator, you really do not need it, just charge after every use.
4: I am on my third year with the battery that came with it, just keep it fully charged at all times.

Buy one, you will not be sorry you did. smile.gif

Skeets

If you don't have one, you need one. True, the FL-18 is better, but you can pick up a used FL-8 pretty darn cheap and be a lot better off than you have been without one. Get used to the FL-8 and then get yourself an FL-18 when you feel you need an upgrade.

I saw an FL-8 in the Bargain Trader for $150.00 yesterday. An FL-18 si gonna cost you close to $400.00.

I will mainly ice fish on Lake Minnetonka. I think the deepest it gets is 120' but I don't plan on fishing in that spot. Does anyone use their fl-8 for summer fishing on a boat? I have heard of people doing this but don't know if it works as well as on ice. Do you guys use the ice ducer or use a plastic arm instead? What way works best?

Thanks for the responses.

A vex is just as useful in the summer as it is in the winter. It is best utilized while anchoring on calmer days, but none-the-less it is still benificial in the boat. I don't own the 18 yet, but the thought of upgrading has always tempted me. The 18 is a useful tool in shallow water as well as deep.

I use my FL8 winter and summer. Because of the frequency difference I can run it next to my Eagle. It is reassuring to see fish on both units and helps learn how to read and understand both types.

Do all of you use the ice ducer? Or have you found problems with that and option for the plastic arm? Sounds like the fl-18 is the way to go. I just wonder if I will use it enough to justify spending more than the fl-8slt?

Charles

Basstracker, get the hi speed permanent ducer for de boat, it you mount it correctly you should get a good reading even at full throttle smile.gif

For ice fishin, I would use the ice ducer. chuck the float though and hang the ducer on a o-ring in front of whatever you have it mounted on. Have the flat part just under the water near the middle of the hole. This way you will have some interferance in the top 3 or so ft of your screen, but you will get use to it, and it is a lot better than having every other fish ya get wrap around the ducer cord or trying to pull the thing outta the hole while fightin' tat feesh!

I would love to have the 18, with all the new features and much brighter screen, but it is not in de budget at de moment tongue.gif

Best Fishes, and Merry Christmas!

Cyb

You must do this. A used FL-8 or new or used FL8-SLT will be fine. The latter is better if you have the money, but the former is plenty if you don't. My catch doubled when I bought my SLT. All those walleyes and crappies swimming suspended well off the bottom beneath the hole go undetected by the average angler, but can't hide from the Vex. Reel up until you're just above the red band and jig a bit, then watch out. Makes it a little more like hunting that way, and having an excellent view of what's down there keeps your head in the game.