• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubby Darters- Are they the real deal or not?

Bob Horn

I have heard alot of talk about these lures. I`m trying to find out if they work that good or is it hipe. I guess you have already figured out I have never fished these lures and until recently I never even seen one. I have talked to a few people and they don`t seem to impressed. At $7. each I trying not to buy that "must have" lure that does`nt work. Yes, I would like to buy a few but need your advice first. P.S. If yes colors please. Thanks. Fish On

I used them a few times last year on L.O.W, caught some fish with them but was not too impressed. I did snatch up a few of the smaller ones to tryout this winter, but I seriously doubt they will outfish Cicadas, plus you can get three of these for the price of one Chubby. I had some very good results with chubbys on the Rainy this summer catching smallmouths though.

My guess is that they are no better or worse than anything else. They are just the latest in the fishing hype game. In-fisherman is pushing them hard in their magazines. Take any media hype with a grain of salt for any product.

Guess what? grin.gif I got some in my tacle box. You can never be to careful. Some is the operative word. They are going for $6.29 here.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I have been using them for over 2 1/2 years and had the privilege to get some of the first few to test from Salmo.

What I have found is they are a new dimension in vertical jigging that produce lots of fish. They are not a miracle lure, nothing is, but they do the job they were designed for, and do it very well.

I have caught 100's of walleye, perch, & pike on them over the past 2 1/2 years both on the ice and in open water. When a vertical jigging situation is called for I gave them a shot and found more often then not they worked to pull the piggys up to hit.

Just remember, they often work best farther off the bottom then you would normally jig, that tip alone will up your odds and your catch.

If I were to recommend 2 colors to get they would be the Hot Perch and the Dace in both the original and baby chubby.

If I didn't believe in them I wouldn't use them, period!

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

The Zip is a classic blade bait style lure but not much of a change from a Sonar.

Blade baits work great as I am sure a Devils Lake pro like Kevin Neve would quickly agree.

Blade baits have been a main stay of river fisherman for many years and well worth adding to a ice box.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
[email protected]

Is the hot perch the one with the orange belly?

Have anybody seen my cicadas box? I can't find em. Lost/misplaced them somewhere in the house.

Zips are going to be hot this year. Someone bought out all the firetiger zips at the local Wallyworld last week.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 12-20-2001).]

Yup-yup the Hot Perch is the orange belly one and the plain perch is the white belly

Both have there place but I seem to get more bigger fish to rise on the Hot color perch. The gold and orange Sumo Chubby is a killer on big pike.

Yes I am a crank bait junky so I have 2 of every color and size or I feel naked on the water.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
[email protected]

The chubby is put above the dropper. Remove the hooks and use 12-20 inches of flourocarbon with a small jig tipped with maggots or waxies tied to the chubby. When the chubby is jigged it resembles a perch feeding and the small jig is resembling food that the chubby has dropped. So it kind of like "hey our buddy has found some food and hes dropping it all over" If you can picture that in your head.LOL. It worked great last year on Mille Lacs. The key that i found is to not "rip" the chubby,but just to gently pull it up and down when you start to see fish.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

You think the local Wal-Mart has the chubby-darters in stock? I'd like to try these once.

[This message has been edited by HtchEyeCatcher (edited 12-23-2001).]

I am planning to do the dropper thing this winter on perch. Maybe as a semi-dead rod? I think the little darter will be good walleye catcher.

I am down in southern minnesota on vacation now. I've hit Cabelas once already. They don't have dump for the Devils Lake fisherman read no Salmos, zips, small trebles for droppers etc.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Kevin Scheels has Chubbys is stock, or did have, unless they are sold out now.

Fleet Farm had the Zip's in perch and also copper, again if they are not sold out by now.

Rumor has it a lot of retailers will not restock this winter due to the late start and poor overall economy. Not wise in my opinion, but decisions like that come from marketing big shots in home offices not anglers.

Scheels had a lot of Chubbys in stock so that would be my first pick to find the colors you need.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
[email protected]

Hey all,

Just picked up some Salmo Chubbys for $6.99 at Gander Mountain. They also had Yad's First Ice (IM7) Rods on sale for $14.99. Just thought you'd like to know. Can't hardly wait for the safe ice. See ya on the hard water.

Hey all,

Just picked up some Salmo Chubbys for $6.99 at Gander Mountain. They also had Yad's First Ice (IM7) Rods on sale for $14.99. Just thought you'd like to know. Can't hardly wait for the safe ice. See ya on the hard water.

Hey all,