• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RUMORS...

Hey guys, I heard a nasty rumor today. My wife's in "law enforcement", and she overheard a conversation of a CO. She told me that it sounded like if there wasn't good ice by Christmas, they were going to close the season or something like that.I told her, just like your going to tell me, I'm full of talk. But that's what she said she heard. Food for thought...

I won't say what your spouse heard was talk, but if the DNR wants to stir up not just a hornets nest,but an F-5 tornado, let 'em go ahead. I guarantee you that I will be on the horn to my state senator,representative,Mr. Garber,and good 'ol Jesse himself. I can see the local sheriff, or a CO, closing a particular lake due to unsafe ice conditions, in regards to the safety of the public.But to close the fishing season-yea,right!!! That notion is total talk,not the info./rumor you heard Burbutt!

I think last year there were some restrictions on local metro area lakes, until there was enough ice. Now, I do not really condone this, I think it is rediculous for the goverment to dictate when the ice is thick enough, I like their stand on "ice is never safe" and they should leave it at that. There is no way, that the state would shoot themselves in the foot and close the season for the entire state. Think of all the resorts, baitshops, license sales, etc, that generate income/revenue for citizens and the state coffers. They simply could not pass up on that money, and many small businesses would go under without ice fishing. I guarantee that we will get winter, might take a little bit longer, but won't be too long and there will be plenty of ice.

Back in the mid 70s fishing and hunting seasons were closed for several weeks in October due to a severe drought and the forest fire danger. So they have been able to close seasons in the past. It was very controversial at the time because Resorts that had reservations from hunters and fishermen obviously lost business. However nothing was done to keep hikers, fall color watchers etc. out of the woods, just sportsmen.

That is B as in B, and S as is S. I don't see the DNR being that silly, as to shut down the season. The DNR is a "money" based organization/business, just like any other, and they would never put the out of state license dollars, etc... at risk. The season will run the same as usual, don't worry, we'll be fishing soon..... I hope smile.gif

Good Luck,
Rusty

I remember the closing of deer hunting in
71 or 72. I Dont remember fishing closed.
But then again I know I'm not the brightest
bulb around...
Here's one I always remember with rumors,
believe half of what see and none of what you hear...

I would think that the resort owners will "P&M" about not getting enough
$$$ out of the icefishing season and
push to have the season extended again,
like they did a couple of years ago!

Here in ND our Governor can close seasons if he/she feels the need in extreme situations such as drought. I hear you in regard to the sportsman taking the heat or having to make the adjustment. smile.gif

In regard to closing the ice season... it is always YOUR own responsibility should you venture onto the ice.

Some things to do...
1. Charge the estate of the person who ventures on to thin ice the cost of recovering the body.

2. Get the fisheries and wildlife out of the DNR and into a seperate agency so you can more effectivly lobby them and make them more accountable toward the sportsmen.

3. Move North were it is colder. wink.gif

4. Build a dome over the best lakes. Would Governor Me support that? I know he doesn't like to build. grin.gif

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND