• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman heaters

I'm looking at getting a small heater for my portable shelter and really like Coleman's BlackCats for their price and product name. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Do they give off decent heat? Is the one with a fan worth the extra bucks I'd pay over the one without?

I got a Blackcat last year, its OK in my fishtrap, it puts out enough heat to warm your hands, I never got a headache when I used it, but I wish it would put out more heat for the cold, cold days (5 above with a wind). I'm thinking about getting one of the new Buddy heaters (9000 BTU vrs 3000 for the Blackcat). If I were you, I'd go for the Buddy. But if you insist I'll sell you my Blackcat for $25.

Chuck- The 3000 btu black cat is fine for above zero fishing, but just barely. My next purchase will be the Buddy. Not only for the additional heat (9000 btu) but also because it can be used indoors in case of an emergency. It also will work on disposable propane bottles or the hose from a larger bulk tank. The only problem is the retailers are not discounting the price at all. Everybody sells them for the same price ($99). They will also heat up a tent during the hunting season with no worry of monoxide poisoning while sleeping.
Good Luck....PolarBear

CHUCK, I ALSO BOUGHT THE BLACK CAT AT MY LOCAL FARM&FLEET STORE, AFTER READING COMMENTS HERE I TOOK IT BACK AND THE BUDDY HEATER WAS RIGHT NEXT TO IT FOR 20 DOLLARS MORE $99.00. IT HAS 3 TIMES THE BTUS AT 9,000
AND IT HEATS GREAT. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE HERE GUYS!

I don't know where all of you guys are at, BUT, I was in a LOWE'S Home Center today in Zanesville Ohio and they had all of the Buddy heaters marked down 25% for clearance!! brought the price down to $74 and some change. Might pay to check around if you're in the market. Craig

Another vote for the buddy heater!
I picked one up earlier this fall, and I am really pleased with it, keeps my Otter Cabin very comfortable, even on cold windy days. Bank in the bottom of the shelter with snow to keep out drafts and leave the zipper open a few inches at the top for a little ventilation. I used to use a coleman lantern and ust deal with the cold and headaches, now I use the buddy for heat, and LED's for light, the system works great, plenty of light with the LED's and great battery life, and no headaches and plenty of heat with the Buddy Heater. I even use it for a space heater around the house and workshop, money well spent.

Picked up a buddy tonight myself. Got it for 79.99 at Scheels in Mankato.

Seems easy to use and puts out some nice heat.

Has anyone here put the adaptor and hose on it to run it off of a 20# cylender?

Will be using it Tuseday on Francis and ring in the new year the right way. HA HA.

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

Check out Thorne Brothers if you want to get the Buddy heater. I went in a couple of weeks ago and they gave me their show special price 79.00, plus they seem to have every jig and lure imagineable.

I just purchased the Buddy heater and I am telling you, this is the way to go. I tried the rest and this has got to be the best. This thing has no odor and doesn't make a sound. It was 2 below last night out on waconia and I never once got cold or got a headache. They have them on sale at cabela's for 79.99$ as we speak. Money well spent!!!

RAINMAN

Chuck, I have one of the bigger Black Cats with the fan in them and I was very dissapointed with the heat it puts out. The fan helps a little but not enough. I'd go with the Mr. Buddy

I bought my buddy last year. It works great in my flip and fish. I've got the 8 foot hose attached. It seems to burn a lot more proficient connected to the 20 pound tank and you don't have to worry about switching when the disposables run out.

heaters. well I've only fished out of a portable a few times in my life. Therefore I don't know much about these kind of heaters. And I'm tryin to decide between a fish trap guide or a more permanent design on crank-up wheels, I do like to visit many many lakes. Usually a different one each weekend. I always stay at the lake for the whole weekend. Any suggestions which way to go? Anyhow back to the heaters. I was lookin through the Cabela's catalog and thinkin what about these "Gas-Fired Infra-Red Heaters/Cookers" or I've alo heard of them referred to as sunflower heaters. They put out just as many or more BTU's as the "Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater." And what do all these headaches come from? Is it from the sunflower type heaters? And does the Mr. Buddy Heater put out enough heat where I could take off the jacket, hat and gloves in a fish trap? Thanx in advance for the answers to my ?'s.
-Mr. Fisherman

MR. FISHERMAN, I USE THE FRABILL CUB. IT SETS UP IN LESS THAN A MINUTE AND BREAKS DOWN TO NOTHING. IT'S GOT A FLAT FLOOR UNLIKE MY OLD FOLD OUT TWO MAN TENT, THIS WORKS GREAT FOR MY BUDDY HEATER THE BEST I'VE USED YET. THE BUDDY HEATER IS CATALYTIC SO IT BURNS EFFICIENTLY ENOUGH NOT TO GIVE OFF FUMES AND IS RATED FOR INDOOR USE. AT 9,000 BTU'S ITS ALMOST TO HOT EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A LOW SETTING ALSO. THEY ARE ON SALE NOW HERE IN IL. AT FARM&FLEET FOR $88.00.

Mr. Fisherman, if its zero out with a 10mph wind, a Fishtrap/Buddy heater combo will allow you to fish but you're going to still want to dress warm. If stripping down to shirtsleeves is your goal, then go to the crank down house with the insulation, solid walls, and bigger heaters. I have both a Fishtrap and a crankdown house and I use the Fishtrap early and late in the season when I can't drive on the ice and the crankdown for the middle of the season. When I use my Fishtrap, I always wear my Ice King boots and insulated coveralls, but it allows me to get out on 4" of ice. The headaches come from the sunflower heaters, some guys can tolerate them but I can't, I always got a headache (I've got two of them that I'll sell you!). Thats why I like the buddy heater, no headaches and it give you enough heat to warm your hands and keep you fishing. Now if I just had a 4-wheeler so I didn't have to walk out....

Blackjack, what are you looking for for the sunflower? I've never had a problem with the headache. We always keep the windows cracked for ventilation. My buddy has a good story about how his Mr. Heater almost killed him. Very lucky he didn't give in and go to sleep, if you know what I mean.

Blake

"My buddy has a good story about how his Mr. Heater almost killed him." I rest my case, first comes a headache then comes sleep, then comes...

Was out at noon, saw the Mr. Heaters for sale for $59, will sell you mine for $30 - Willmar area.

I just got a Blackcat for Christmas. Took it up to Mille Lacs last week. Kept a two man comfortable. Granted you aren't going to be hangin' out in your boxers or anything, but I was ice fishing after all. BTW, it works great for drying/warming your hands after grabbing a minnow!

Thanks for everyone's help regarding heaters.
Decided to but a Portable Buddy. On sale for $75 at Lowes's minus my brother's 10% employee discount. As cheap as the Coleman but better output!