• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing for Stream Trout

Next month I'll be heading to one of Minnesota's designated stream-trout lakes for the first time, trying to catch a trout through the ice.
Those of you who have done this:
(1) What would you consider the essential bait and tackle to use, and
(2) What is your favorite technique? TIA

ALOT OF GUYS USE WAXIES BUT I'VE HAD REAL GOOD LUCK WITH SALMON EGGS RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM (8-15ft). USE VERY LIGHT TACKLE AND SET THE HOOK FAST WHEN YOU SEE THE BOOBER GO. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CHASKA COURTHOUSE POND!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I JUST CALLED FISHERIES FOR CARVER CO. (952-826-6771) AND THEY SAID LAST WINTER WITH ALL THE SNOW CAUSED THE DIE OFF. LACK OF OXYGEN I GUESS. ANYWAY, THEY STOCKED 1,000 RAINBOWS FROM LANESBORO ON NOV 15 SO THERE SHOULD BE SOME ACTION THIS YEAR.
WET NETS!

------------------

Four things have worked well for me.

1. Maggot on a small Ice fly.
2. Small Jigging Rap or Nils Master.
3. Silver or Gold Jigging spoons
4. Small Maribou Hair Jigs

I always have a deadstick with the maggot in one hole. In the other hole I am constantly switching every couple of minutes. I also will move fairly frequently if nothing shows up for 15 minutes or so. The best fishing tends to be the first weekend. I suggest 2lb test and be ready to back real.

For the most part, stockers put into an un-natural setting usually spend their time cruising specific depths.
One of the stock ponds in ROchester,MN you can guarentee yourself fish very shallow or through out the system just below the ice.

Take a bright day to peer down your hole. Give it some time, and you'll see them cruise by in packs.

Good luck !!
Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 12-13-2001).]

Before you folk start chucking ice chisels, or skimmers towards my direction ,listen to this. Use freshly killed minnows on an ice fly, under a float, or not.Take a small container filled with salt water to dunk your small minnows in,killing the minnows by dunking them in the salt, and then put them on the hook. I actually did this on a metro trout lake, was checked by a DNR employee that said as long as the minnows were dead, it was legal.I caught many brookies doing this. I should add that I killed my minnows at my truck, parked off the lake, not on the ice.Don't bring the minnows on the ice, or you might get a ticket. Fresh meat will do it to those trout every time.

Marmooskaman,
You let the cat out of the bag buddy!
He right, this is what my clients and I have been doing for trout throught the ice for several years now. Another way is using "do jigger" spoons in blue/ chrome or Chartruse/chrome. I usually pump these about 3-6 feet off the bottom. Hang on because if the fish are agressive that day, they will absolutly hammer it.
Good luck
Terry
Terry's Guide Service

[This message has been edited by Terry Hagstrom (edited 12-14-2001).]

Thank you all for your input. Keep those bair and tackle suggestions coming.

Just wondering... what are the best kind of minnows to use (after giving them their salt-water execution, of course).

YES... THE CATS OUTA DA BAG AND IT SOUNDS LIKE I'M GONNA TRY THAT! JIGGLE SOME FRESH MINNOWS AROUND (PROBABLY SUCKERS, THEY GOTTA KEEP SOMETHING A SECRET!)
ICE SOON?

------------------