• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Help?

Starman

Question

I have recently purchased Sybil Smith's Fishing Guide for the Brainerd - Mille Lacs area. I have a Garmin GPS III Plus, and I am trying to set some of the GPS coordinates for the fishing spots. After setting several of them, I noticed that each of the coordinates didn't match the locations of the ones pictured on the map.I think that the problem maybe in the position setup. Can anyone tell me what Position Format and Map Datum are used for these coordinates listed in the fishing guide? Or if you know what the problem is any suggestions may help. Thanks, Starman

5 answers to this question

The most common problem is with the map not the GPS. The company that draw up hte maps are not always very accurate, but the cordinates should be correct to get you on the basic structure.
If you we're able to input the lat/lon your position format was correct. Map datum should be NAD83.

Rob

I have a Garmin 12 map which is very simialer to your unit. I had the same problem. I was able to go in to the system setup and choose the correct unit of measure. I don't have my book with me today but if you need further help let me know and I will look it up

Thanks for the help Rob and Fisher Dude. I set the Position Format to hddd.mm.ss.s and the Datum to NAD83. The waypoint icons on the GPS are still pretty different from the ones pictured in the Fishing Guide. They are located in the lake's water, but still look to be pretty far off the location pictured in the guide.I'm not sure how far off the maps can be, but on a larger lake like Upper Whitfish I would think that they would be a little closer to the given coordinates(?).

I have seen the same problem with my GPS 12 map. I have marked a few way points that should be in the water but look like they are on land on the GPS but when I get to them they are on the water they are actually on the water