• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is th vex FL-18 only for deep water?

My suggestion is to buy the best you can afford at the time. You're already spending $309(which is the bulk of the cost), you might as well fork out another $90 to have the latest in technology. With the FL-18, even at 12 ft., you're going to get a more defined seperation of fish and bottom. Plus, these units last forever and you may have it for 10 years--and who knows--you may fish deeper water in the future. I know several guides and they are all trading in their FL-8's for the FL-18. In my opinion, it's worth the extra $90.

The FL-18 has a built in low power mode for shallow water. To get the same affect from an FL-8 you need an S-Cable. I think there is a misconception that the FL-18 is a deep water unit, but I don't believe that to be true. After people start really using them this winter those misconceptions will clear themselves up.

If I go with the FL-18, and the standard 12 degree Transducer, will I have too small of a window in my shallow (seldom over 15 feet) fishing spot. This is the only thing stopping me from going to the fl-18. I can get the 19 degree 'ducer, but will this reduce the advantage of the higher priced unit? I think I want the FL-18 with a 19 degree Transducer. Won't this cost me even more?

i have an fl-8 and fish a lake that is 20 ft deep at the deepest point... i have no plans on getting an fl-18. for shallow water i doubt it has that great of an advantage, in shallow water, u are already focused on the bottom... i also like the 19 degree transducer that came standard with it

I am trying to remember the exact specs, so I might be way off, but I want to say that a 12 degree ducer in 30 ft of water has a 6.8ft diameter area. I think the 19 degree has about 10 ft of bottom area. So I don't know if it would be fair to say that the 12 degree will cover about 30% less area. But keep this in mind. Let's just say you're in 30ft of water for example. The 19degree ducer will cover about 10ft of surface area and find the highest point and report it as bottom. In that scenario you would increase your chances of encountering a dead area that is beneath the cone. That said, I think I would still rather have a 19 ducer if I fished shallow water under twenty feet. Can anyone elaborate on this theory, with a more technical approach, and maybe verify the numbers I presented.

[This message has been edited by Piker (edited 12-07-2001).]

I was reading the info on it at Vexlars site yesterday, They state that the zoom feature will work in water 10' deep. The display is supposidly brighter and less suseptable to glare from the sun. They also have a chart that lists info about the transducer cone angle and area covered. If you are going to use it for shallow water i'd opt for the unit with the 18 and 9 degree transducer that is switchable. At 10' even the 18 deg. one does not cover much area. like 3'.

Now we are getting into my question. I want to buy, but am afraid of the narrow cone. Is it a problem in shallow water? I'll check the web site of Vexilar, but hope the comments keep coming in here. There is a lot of knowledge here? Anyone from Vexilar watching?

Per the Vexilar web page: The cone covers:
3.35 ft at 10 ft depth
5.02 ft at 15 ft depth
6.69 ft at 20 ft depth.
This is the 19 degree 'ducer. The 9 degree figures are much lower. I'm quite sure I want the 19 degree 'ducer with my FL-18. They have no figures for the 12 degree unit on the page. 12 is closer to 9 than it is to 19. I think the answer is simple. Get the 19. Anybody have a comment. I was advised to get the 19 on this board a few days ago. Sounds like great advice.

I don't know which is better, but I do know this. The standard FL-18 Pro Pack comes w/ a 12 dgree transducer. I don't know if you can custom order one with the 9/19 for the same price or if you have to pay more. I would think though, that if the good people at Vexilar didn't think the 12 degree was the best all around, they wouldn't have packaged it. I don't know.

The theoretical difference is a narrow beam will be more sensitive to smaller items and a wide beam will not be as sensative. So you might have more trouble with the 19 degree transducer seeing smaller micro jigs or you may end up adding to much gain to see you lure. so then you switch to the narrow beam and the signal from you lure should be stronger if it is in the center of the cone.
My guess is you would check for fish with the 19 degree and jig until you see fish on the finder comming tward your lure then switch to the 9 degree once you know they are at your lure. Also see the section on the black or dead zone of these finders at the vexlar site. I've been pricing the FL-18 Pro PAC Daul19/9 and they are the most expensive at between $409 and 420. I would spring if you are going to buy one, get the best.

it is true that the 12 degree transducer is better all around, that means from very deep to shallow, but the 19 degree would be better for water less than 25-30 feet, all i can say is, i am glad i have the 19 degree transducer

I am looking into buying a flasher and I would undoubtedly go with the dual 9/19 ducer. The "improved" 12 degree seems way to narrow and close to the 9. But the 9 would be good for deeper water. 19 is the way to go with most fishing, except deepwater lakers or something. but its good to be versatile and have the dual.
good luck

Well I think from the sounds of the responses, I'll keep saving and go with the FL-18. Now I just have to look around and see who's got the best deal on them...
Thanks for the info, Mike

I have had my fl-8 for several years and it came equipped with the 9 degree transducer. I fish a mix of shallow (3 to 10 feet) and deep water , this narrow transducer fishes real well in deeper water, I have no problem seeing even small jigs. In the shallower water I see everything just as well but the cone is so narrow you don't see fish until they are basically at your bait. This year I have purchaced a 19 degree ducer that I will use for the shallower stuff. I will just have to see how this works out.

Just got off the lake. Used the FL18 for the first time. The bottom zoom feature is really great but is will take a little time to get use to. Seems strange to see your jig move up on both sides at the same time. I think they could have done something a little different in that department. With the 12-degree transducer I had no problem seeing both jigs thirteen feet down in two different holes three feet apart. I am curious to see how long a battery last with all those lights flashing. wink.gif

RJ,
Get the 19 degree ducer, or pay a little more and get the 9/19. (it is available for the fl-18). I have a dual beam, but I rarely use the 9 degree setting because I too rarely fish water over 20-25'.
As you approach the 25-30' depth range the 19 degree peters out because most of it's power is spead out over a larger diameter and you have to turn your gain way up to read small jigs/spoons which opens the door for all kinds of clutter. That is when I switch to 9 degree. The 19 degree is usable at this depth, just a little trickier to control tracking.
Hope this helps

Let's bring this back. You guys that have had some ice, what's the verdict? I want one, but I'm not yet sure what 'ducer to buy. I'm seldom in water over 25' deep.