• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much is it worth?

huntnfish

Question

8 answers to this question

without seeing it for myself it would be hard to say for sure. The only thing that I can tell you is that you don't see that motor for sale to often. Make an offer, the seller may take it, if they don't you can always offer a little more.

There have been a lot of refinements since '78. If you plan to use the motor fairly frequently, you'd be better served in the long run with a newer motor.

Any mid 70's-early 80's OMC motors are good dependable units. They seem to always run and start easily when other motors of the same vintage struggle. I owned an early 70's 9.9 for quite a few years until I upgraded. It served me quite well.
Although I think that $500 is a little high for a 9.9, (Bought a 85' 35hp a few years back for duck hunting for $700) if you could talk the seller down I would think it would be a good buy.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

While still a resort owner, I had two OMCs in the late 70 vintage catch fire - one a Johnson, the other an Evinrude (9.9 and 15, altho virtually identical engines). Our experience with smaller OMCs was not good.

Others will have had other experiences. In my opinion it is too old and too expensive.

I have owned mostly OMC and NEVER, EVER have they been to a shop for any sort of repair. My grandpa has one of the first one's, gosh back from the 1930's or something like that (still runs strong) along with an old Champion...
I can count at least 8 OMCs between my dad and I....never had any problems with good maintenance. Maintenance is the key, neglecting them really shows. We still frequent a 1955 33 hp and a 1950's 10 hp and they always start by the third pull.

Those older 9.9 and 15 hp motors are indestructible IMHO and I would say about $400 or so depending on condition for a mid-70's 9.9 hp.

I checked out a HSOforum that I know that tells the price of older outboards. If it is a manual, the average price is $70. If it is electric start, the average price is $85. I hope this helps!