• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to treat boat canvas with

ricbak

Question

I was noticing the canvas looks like it needs some treatment and the seams are letting lose on my boat cover and was wondering what is the best stuff to use for treatment? something that wont collect dust afterwards. thanks ricbak

5 answers to this question

If it is canvas/canvas, can't suggest anything to keep clean. The seam problem is the sun rotting the stitching, that's why they are letting loose. Best to get those sewn over ASAP. If it is a vinal top, Liquid Gold hands down. But with any top the first step is take your top to the car wash a scrub down the material to be sure it is clean before you apply any type of preserative. Remember if you take the boat with the top on (much eaiser if you do) don't cut the cornor leaving the car wash to quick, bad things happen.

I once covered my boat top with a plastic cover. BIG Mistake.The cover breathes and in the spring it started to get black spots(mold)because I had 2 covers on it.I washed it good with a brom andivory dishwater soap --- something to do with no detergents or something like that-the canvas guy told me to use it.Detergents break down the waterproofing.The mold didn't stop growing thus putting many small holes in the cover.I had to get another canvas.Never double cover boat.Just another thought about boat covers. Roy

There is a product called Canvac that is designed to be used on canvas wall thent for waterproofing. But it does seem to be a little sticky so it will still collect dust.

Rob