• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes of 2007

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Bigwade,

I agree it is a nice fish but by no means huge. It is only 21" but fat, over 6lbs. I would have loved to see what this fish would have been in 3 years. But with it not surviving the fight I had no choice.

This post has me thinking. What is the law if you are on a slot lake, you catch a walleye over the slot, but it isn't going to live for one reason or another?? Do you still have to throw it back? The reason I bring this up now is a few years ago we were camping on a slot lake and my oldest caught a walleye that was a tad over the slot. It ended up bleeding alot and it did a half (Contact Us Please) belly up swim type thing. We kept it and ate it.

It is illegal to keep the fish, whether they are going to die or not. I know it might not sound right, but if they changed the law so it worked that way, there would be way too many people ripping the gills out of every one they caught and using that excuse.

Quote:

It is illegal to keep the fish, whether they are going to die or not. I know it might not sound right, but if they changed the law so it worked that way, there would be way too many people ripping the gills out of every one they caught and using that excuse.

After we ate the fish, my wife and I discussed that. She thought it would be a waste but I told her what you posted

Welcome to FM Claud!!!

Beautiful Walleye. You can tell the difference a few ways between Saugers and Walleyes by a few things like the Saugers don't have a white tip on the tail. Have spots all over the dorsal fin aposed to the black spot at the base.

And that would be one huge sauger, they don't get that big very often. smile.gif

IMO the fish isn't a saugeye. It doesn't have any visible black spots on the fins (dorsal and tail) and it still has it white tail spot which saugeye typically lack. It has some saugeye looking coloration, but that alone isn't enough. The fins are typically the best marker.

Great Fish though.

Dan

i think he would learn pretty quick without that glove.......on a side note watching one of the fishing shows and they are out of arnesons on LOW and the guide grabs a walleye to show the camera and holds it lipped like a bass......every time i see this i just chuckle at the thought of people lipping walleyes!! NICE PICTURES keep them coming.....