• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes of 2007

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled a pretty darn nice one last week off of the LOTW. Heavy 30.75 X 19 incher caught on a pink and white AEjr baited with Shiner head on my Perch Sweetheart with 4# XL.....Fun, fun, fun! Pic of it on the LOTW forum in a post titled "Muskeg Monster". Perhaps Jamison or Mike could cut/paste and edit the pic onto this post? My puter skills are severely lacking! I could e one of you the pic as well if your willing/able to edit it in here?

fiskyknut

fisky's piggy muskegmonsterat5.jpg

fisky- you need to get a life, catching big fish year round has to get old wink.gif. We'll have to hook up at Arnesens this summer and see if we can christen the Triton with a couple bigger than this one. I'll bring the boat. You bring the fish.

later,

toddb

Hey thanks Todd for gettin that posted. Yepper it ai'nt easy being me, took 22 days on the LOTW ice since the 2nd of December to get that girl! I certainly was'nt due either!

Love to jump in with you sometime this summer. You know how good this past summer was for the WHOPPERS eh, you sure got a fair share of them. I wonder if we'll ever see another year so good? Could it possibly be even better this summer for the BIG ones? Time will tell but there was sure something special happening on a couple choice locations on the pond this past summer thats for sure.

Regards....Norm

Nice walleyes fellas and here's some of mine so far this year. I think I've been out about 8 nights after work for a couple hours a time so far this New Year and caught about 25 eyes so far in 2007 all from the boat and hopefully within a week we'll FINALLY have some ice in this part of NY state so I can start whackin the eyes through the ice! We're now in that "tweener" phase of not enough ice to stand on and too much ice to use the boat crazy.gif I caught a whole bunch of open water beauties so far to start the New Year and here's just a few cool.gif

3 good ones all over 5lbs off the big bright full moon which had the big ones all worked up for a few nights on either side of the phase as usual!

IMG_1388.jpg

Took a couple friends out the next night to get them in on the action grin.gif

IMG_1405.jpg

Some more piggies from the night of the 11th!

IMG_1424.jpg

Boat's been away since last weekend and now I'm just waiting for some safe ice crazy.gif

Quote:

Nice looking fish. Are you keeping all those 20+" fish?

Thanks. I usually keep em up to 24 or 25" and will release anything over 25"! With the cold water in late fall and the spring the fish of that size still taste great! The one lake I fish which has a very aggressive stocking program combined with high natural reproduction and virtually no angling pressure results in some very solid fishing where it's unusual to even catch a walleye under 20" at night and most are between 20" and 25" cool.gif Other lakes here it's rare to catch fish over 20" but each lake is different!

Quote:

Interesting. Not only is it not allowed according to state law but very few lakes would sustain that type of harvest here in MN.

It's definitely different here because we don't have much of what I call "intelligent" angling pressure like you folks have out there in MN and we have many days where it's not uncommon to catch between 20 and 60 walleyes with a boat or from shore at the right time of year. We have a 5 fish, 15" size limit on most lakes in NY with some waters holding a 3 fish limit of 18"! The fishing opportunities in NY state are incredible with everything from walleyes to panfish to king salmon to trout to the saltwater fishing on Long Island ooo.gif Plus in the spring one of our favorites are the giant striped bass that run up the Hudson river from the ocean in April and May with many fish topping 50lbs and that's only 20 minutes from my house!!!

We have A LOT of fishing opportunities in MN too, and I don't think you'll find many that will say that its OK to take 5lb fish out of a lake even though we have soooo many lakes, especially night after night. It is just not good to take that many big fish out of a lake.

Quote:

I don't think you'll find many that will say that its OK to take 5lb fish out of a lake even though we have soooo many lakes, especially night after night. It is just not good to take that many big fish out of a lake.

I'm really not looking for a debate over my personal catch and release policies that are all within the law, I just was posting pics of some of the walleyes I've caught so far in 2007 crazy.gif

Quote:

I'm really not looking for a debate over my personal catch and release policies that are all within the law, I just was posting pics of some of the walleyes I've caught so far in 2007
crazy.gif

I agree.

The fisheries that you fish are obviously regulated much differently than our lakes in MN. I can't think of many lakes, if any, that have an 18" minimum size limit in the state of MN.

Our regulations typically encourage the harvest of small fish and protect those 20-28 inchers.

Nice fish and thanks for sharing!

Good for you insurance guy. Nice fish. I was just waiting for someone to give you grief about keeping those fish. I think if its within the regs then whats the problem. I really get sick of people judging others when they are just trying to share their pics and their stories. To each their own. Once again nice pics, keep them coming.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm really not looking for a debate over my personal catch and release policies that are all within the law, I just was posting pics of some of the walleyes I've caught so far in 2007
crazy.gif

I agree.

The fisheries that you fish are obviously regulated much differently than our lakes in MN. I can't think of many lakes, if any, that have an 18" minimum size limit in the state of MN.

Our regulations typically encourage the harvest of small fish and protect those 20-28 inchers.

Nice fish and thanks for sharing!

Ditto......Nice Fish!

Thanks for the information insurance guy. Please don't think I was questioning your practices of catch and release. It's merely nice to hear how other states handle their regulations. I consider it good conversation. And, I already said nice lookin' fish, so we should be covered. smirk.gif

I popped my biggest of the year tonight on an East metro lake.

P1200002edt.jpg

I was fishing a small rock pile had my tipups setup at the top about 9' and was hole hoping the edges. Between me and my dad we only managed a few small eyes most the night until the big gal slid through the rocks towards my tipup late in the evening. We didnt weigh or measure her a just a quick photo and release. I know she had to longer than my beaver dam tipup...