• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting X-15 on Bow

Question

I am trying to convince my dad to get an x15, and I think that he is ready to purchase one, but he is wondering what the easiest way is to mount it on the bow to the trolling motor. Any suggestions?? Is there anything that we should know that worked well or didnt work well for you? We have a Lund Fisherman 1800 with a Minn Kota 65 auto pilot. We currently have a x65 on the dash. I told him about the new universal sonar, but he said that it's not an option.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

6 answers to this question

I guess if it were my boat,i would want the x-15 on the dash and the x-65 on the bow. I would want to read areas iam about to fish with the x-15 rather than the x-65. Which ever one you mount on the trolling motor, just use cable ties and tie the transducer cord to the shaft of the motor. You will need a puck style transducer for the motor. And do not wire the locator to the same battery that the motor is wired to.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 04-22-2002).]

I also think that it would be better idea to put the 15 on the dash and scoot the 65 onto the trolling motor. all you need is the puck ducer and and some power wire and you're ready for action.

Assuming your using your dash locator to scan potential spots before you fish, the x-15 is 10 times the graph the x-65 is. If your missing targets and bottom transition with the x-65 on the dash, wouldnt it make more sense to put the x-15 on the dash.In a perfect world, you would have two x-15's. But that cant always happen. Overall its up to you and what your comfortable with. I have my dash mount on a RAM mount so i can turn it 180degress and use it when ever i fish from the bow.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

D-Man,
After talking to a buddy of mine today in class who owns reeds sporting goods, he came up with a marvelous idea. He said to mount a transducer for the x15 on the trolling motor and also one on the back of the boat. Have a ram mount in both places, and then just move the x15 to the front when i need to troll or keep it on the dash when im driving. Does this sound like a good idea? you are right though, two x15s would be ideal.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

I don't understand why you would mount the x65 on the bow and the x15 on the dash. We wont be using the gps feature and we predominently fish for walleyes while trolling...my friends boat has the graphs positioned as you recommended but wishes that they were opposite. Can you please help me?

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES