• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pro fishing guide question

Dusty

Question

Is there a state agency that regulates or licenses fishing guides in Mn.
Without getting into the who's and where's I was just wondering how to report a bad experience with a guide.
This has to do with bad equipment.
Thanks, Dan

5 answers to this question

You can guide in Minnesota without a license. However, you had better not "fish for hire" on Lake Superior or on the Mississippi without a valid Captain's license via U.S. Coast Guard testing and licensing.

You can report your experience to the DNR and they will judge to what response is appropriate and warranted.

The nature of the complaint will determine their actions.

Be sure you have your facts straight, or you may be held liable if the guide thinks you are slandering him or her. It could backfire?

I would bring it up with the guide first, then see if further action were needed.

In ND if the offence is deemed a sufficient infraction of ethics or possible criminal the guide will get his license revoked, possibly for life.

In MN I am not certain what they will do?

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

You also need that CG OUPV {6-pack} license to guide on LOW. Any other waters deemed a "navigable waterway" by the Coast Guard require this also, or you may be fined up to 10,000 dollars.

Fisky

I am asking the question for a friend but he tells me that it involved a poor running trolling mtr. The Motor wouldn't iddle down slow enough without killing.
The guide didn't charge him for the half day trip. He is not interested in reporting him. We were just curious if guides were licensed , required to have insurance and if the boats are inspected.
Thank you all for your replies
Dan