Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoot

Question about legal/illegal equipment

9 posts in this topic

I have a question about rigging legally in MN. I used to be up on this info., but I don't recall anymore and/or the info. has probably changed since I used to know it.

If I use a drop-shot rig can I use more than one hook on it? If the answer to this is no, then how is this different from a crawler harness with multiple hooks?

Can I use a three way rig with a crankbait and a spoon on it ? Or with two different crankbaits on it? Can I use a rig that has two different lures on it at all?
What are the regs. regarding this stuff? I haven't had any reason to ask this stuff recently because I haven't had any desire to try any of it, but I've had some hairbrained ideas over this winter and I might try something goof if it's legal.
Scoot

Both are no no's, One line with a single artificial or baited hook. I've been doing the crank/spoon 3-way thing for a few years over on Erie and Saginaw. On occasion while trolling LOW mudflats I will run a Reefrunner Deep diver and a stinger scorpion flutter spoon via 3 way rig, but I take the hooks off the crank making this a legal rig....The crank acts as a diving planer....Works good.

Fisky

Scoot,
You really need to get out on the soft water. I think you're thinking too much. Big Stone on Saturday/Sunday. Get a boat or fish from shore. Meet us down there. Email me or give me a call.

MJ

I think there are some situations when more than one lure can be use on a line. Like fishing for panfish where you can have up to three flies or jigs tied on. Maybe thats not the case anymore though

I've got a question also if ya don't mind,
is it legal to use a single treble hook, in
particular the ones I mean are the ones used for holding catfish bait, the one with the coiled wire on the shaft, I've always been under the impression that a treble hook, unless use in conjunction with a lure was illegal, I've "heard" that you could attatch
a spinner blade to it and it would then be legal, anybody know for sure?

Thanks Hulk

Scoot,

It is pefectly legal on Wisconsin-Minnesota border rivers, not legal in in-land waters.

Can you imagin hitting two notherns at the same time?

mhar,
I know that people who fish pike through the ice use quick-strike rigs alot which are a wire leader with 1 or 2 treble hooks, a spinner, and a few beads. I assume they are legal. I think it needs the spinner or something else to be legal.

You cannot use more than one lure or hook on a line. I'm not sure about flies here. However that eliminates treble hooks by themselves or two hooks by itself.

To make a treble or two hooks legal you would have use a lure. Typically, adding a spinner to your rig makes it a lure, so you can add additional hooks or a treble. A jig is also considered a lure, that's why you can add stinger hooks to them.

If anyone is going to get more technical than this, I'm not the guy to ask.

Still looking for someone who can really put the definition of a Lure to this?

I have a question but not about equipment. Last summer we took a friend and his daughter (she is 23) fishing with us. We assumed that they were legal. However, last weekend while sitting at our favorite watering hole he was telling someone that he has never had a fishing license. What happens if we get checked and he does not have a license? Do they just fine him or do they take it out on the poor person that is driving the boat and has now idea what is going on?

------------------
Phyl