• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Outfitter Any Ice Report on Manitou

Just wondering what the ice conditions might be like in the Manitou are, that is if there is any ice at all, really hasn't been could enough, but hopefully we could get a good week of below zero before any snow and get some good ice conditions......

I've fished Sullivan a fair bit coming from the Pipestone end. I have had pretty good luck there, but nothing over the 15# range. I have never fished Lawrence or Hector though. We usually do real well on Bluffpoint, but no monsters. Usually get the biggest ones on Pipestone or the Manitou.

Outfitter, superbee and CNG,

Would also appreciate any updates on ice conditions and snow cover, am planning on heading up the stretch into the lower 'tou the weekend of the 13/14 in search of lakers. Most likely access thru south bay and up from there. Thanks in advanced for any info!

I went up to my cabin on Pipestone today and there was at least 5" of ice everywhere. Snow cover was marginal in spots and decent in other areas. The areas that didn't have much snow I followed the shoreline and there was enough snow for the sliders. I never had the slides stick anyway. Can't wait for the 1st.

That's what I found yesterday when I was up there. I checked about 6 spots along the way up the lake to my cabin in Watson Bay and that's what there was. I chopped the ice with my axe and after I had 5" I stopped, my axe never wnet through. So I say there is at least 5". Do you ice fish Pipestone? If so where do you stay when you are up? Maybe I'll see you around. If you need more of an update let me know.

I was on Pipestone today up by Happy Landing Lodge and we had 10-12 inches of ice everwhere we checked. We limited out with trout in only 45 minutes with the biggest being about 11lbs. Over the 55 miles we traveled today, for the most part it was on glare ice. One of the machines had the slides melt and we had a heck of a time getting them broke loose.

I have some customers staying at Camp Manitou on lower manitou, and they were also into some hot trout action. The ice reports in the stretch and around camp were 9-12 inches, but again very limited snow.

If you have any questions about the area please ask.

I just talk to a trapper today and he said most of the stretch around camp has around 7-10 inches of ice, but the main lake has open water. In front of barker bay all the way to glass bay is open, so if anyone is heading up in that area stay away from the main part of Lower manitou Lake for now. In fact you should be careful on all the trout lakes in the area until we get some colder weather.

Seeing you guys mentioned Pipestone, how's the trail from Clearwaer, through the portages, up into Pipestone. I'll be staying with some friends that live up there. They haven't been out on the lake yet.

They suggested I bring my two 4-wheelers, for there isn't really enough snow to run the 17 mile trip to where we trout fish. They generally have enough sleds up there for me to use, so tansportation is usually not a problem....of course if it's not all slush.

They've also made a comment about heading over to Ottertail. They said the crappies aren't to bad. Never been on this lake...any suggestions?

The guys usually treat me nice, because, being a gunsmith, I spend a few hours cleaning and repairing their guns, now that the season is over.

Thanks,

Doug

We just got a couple inches of snow today. The portages were ok, so they will be real good now. You must fish the bottom end of Pipestone if you are only going 17 miles. The narrows are good as well. The crappie have been biting better on LOW than on the lakes here. Who do you fish with?

Do you know Cory Westover? Dan Bragg? Any of the Wilsons from Emo?

A friend of mine has a place on Clearwater, right next to the Westovers. (Near the boat landing)

Well, then there's Hal at the portage....we don't fish with him, actually we don't do anthing with him!, but he does manage to stop in and drink our beer!

I know all of them. So, you guys fish right across from Pipestone Lodge on the main stretch walking back and forth between your 2 holes. Good spot for a few trout everytime, I used to fish there all the time. Started fishing other spots to stay away from everyone going by or stopping to see what you've got. Two friends fished there the other day and got 4 trout in 20 minutes and were on there way home.

That's us. We call that fishing method..."ice trolling"

It works quite well when it's below zero(F), and you have no shack. Your feet stay warm.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how often we hook up with trout about 5 ft below the ice.

We are going to drag our fishtraps with us this year to try smaller jigs and plastic, along with trying other areas.

We'll be up there Wednesday night and head back home on Monday.

Cory emailed me this morning and said there is enough snow to run on now, so I guess the 4-wheelers aren't neccessary to bring up.

Superbee, I stay with the Bachel's. I was part of the crew that came to your place on Off Lake this last summer for some "Go Fish" with the family! I'm not one that partook in the excessive consumption of Wisers though! I unfortunately can't make the trout trip at the end of the month as I already booked another trip that weekend. Good luck to you guys.