• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Slam Iceleaders Get Together??? Date Changed Jan 21st LOOK NOW NEW INFO.

Hey everyone it is getting close to that time of year the ND Slam on the Jamestown Reservoir. I had orginally planned to have the even on Sat. Jan 20. But, due to some possible conflicts with some members it was asked if it would be possible to do it on the Sun of that weekend the 21st of Jan.

I guess there are two questions that come to mind for me. First who all is coming. I am hoping to have a good turn out last year was good but I think we can do better. Second of the days the 20 or 21 which work better for everyone. Does anyone have any objections to moving the date to the 21st? Let me know what you all think.

Quote:

Is this open to everyone? If so I would be willing to give it a try. For the most part my schedule is fairly flexable. I think it would be fun to try some different waters!

You bet it is just a fun day on the lake. No contest just a group of people getting together to fish. I have several maps of the lake and mapping software and chips as well. By that time of the year the lake should be driveable for pickups. By all means everyone is welcome. Bring a friend bring the whole family. I would like to make this a really fun event. Last year there was about 9-12 of us but I think there could be more.

Nick since you mentioned it last year we did it on a sunday and it was because of the Brainerd event. It is so tough to plan anything with out conflicting with something else. But if Sun would be the better day we sure can move it. Check out this link it gives a brief discription of the even and likely location though that is subject to change depending on the fish.

ND Slam Info

Hope to see all of you there. We even have some small door prizes in store this year thanks to some of FM's great sponsors. Nothing like a LX5 but some lures and other gadgets for on the ice.

Well we are about a week and a half away. Who all is still coming? The fish are bitting this year so hopefully the bite will hold. I did catch fish during the day on Sunday which was nice. I think that we will be having the even up at smokies landing area as the bite seems to be decent there. I will keep fishing and let you know for sure.

jamestown2007vz0.png

Directions

Take I94 West to the HWY 281/HWY 52 North By Pass (exit # 256). You will stay on I-94 past the main Jamestown exits.

Take this North; you will go across 3 bridges and then come to a stop sign. At that stop sign you will be at HWY 281 and HWY 52. Make a left onto 281 and you will be heading North West. You will stay on this road for about 8 or 9 miles. Be looking for a big brown sign on the right side of the road; it says something like Jamestown Recreation Area. You will need to be slowing down and getting ready to make a right turn on the next road - it's road number is 28th St SE. There is also a smaller sign that says Smokies Landing on it on the corner as well. After you make a turn you will be going about 2 miles and you will be at the lake.

Stay Tuned and I will fill you in where to go once you're on the lake. As of Sun evening people are driving all over the lake and there is 12-13" of ice.

Between iffwalleyes and myself we'll be bringing with a gas grill... bring your own food to cook on it if you want...

This should be a good time.... another opportunity to put some more names with faces... although the fish didn't cooperate last time hopefully they will this time.

marine_man

I'll definitely try to make it again this year. I'll make no promises about being there, but odds are good that I'll be able to fanagle my way outto home-related duties and swing on over.

For those who haven't been to this sort of thing- you really should come. It's fun! Jason and Rob did a good job of putting it together last year and I'm sure it'll be a good time again this year.

It will be pretty informal as far as start time. I will probably be at the lake between 9 and 10 am. Marine_Man said he probably wouldn't be there till around noon. Noon would be a pretty good time to start things that is what we did last year. Hopefully you will be able to stay a little latter because the best bite is usually around 4:30 pm to 6:30 most nights. The other night I left the lake a 7:30 pm. As far as rides go hopefully someone from Fargo can help ya out otherwise if you get to Valley City you will be welcome to come out with me.

As far as a ride goes I don't really need one. I was just throwing the option out there. I will try to make it. I have always wanted to try fishing the resovior. One other question. What is usually the hot ticket? Do you jig or are deadsticks the way to go? Any hot colors a guy might want to bring? wink.gif

As far as what to bring... bring both Jigging and Deadstick presentations... it'll all depend on what kind of mood they're in, but both presentations have always worked well on Jamestown.

As far as what colors hopefully iffwalleyes will chime in.. I haven't fishing the reservoir yet this winter...

Glad to hear you and Scoot are going to try and make it... it should be a good time!

marine_man

I have been wanting to get out on the Res all year and I am going to try and make it out there for this get together. I won't have a definate answer until next week but I will be out there if possible. With gas prices the way they are it might not be a bad idea to do some carpooling.

I have been doing really good this year and past years on the mirrored red and mirrored blue jigging raps smaller size ones with a dropper treble hook set up. The glow red jigging shad rap has also been good with a dropper hook. Tip them with either a single minneow head that is how I usually fish them sometime two or a head and tail. The set lines have been producing with pretty much any set up. I like to keep them simple so I have been using plain #6 gold kahle hooks and #6 red Gamakatsu octopus hooks with a single 1/4 oz split shot about 6 inches up from the hook. Jigging spoons are also good choices to have Glow red typically is decent along with glow and firetiger combinations. Angel Eye work well as do JR's crushers. Jamestown doesn't require anything too fancy if you have fished and caught walleyes before you probably have something that will work on Jamestown..

Car pooling is a great idea that should help to get more people there I think. Like I say I am hoping for a good turn out because I know that we will have a good time. Heck Marine_Man and I have a heck of a fun time fishing when there are just two of us throw in a few other flatlanders and we could really have some fun.

I'm making no promises, but I'll try be there. I'll also see if my buddy anylakeanytime (Ben K) wants to join in- he came with me last year. Huntnfish, you're welcome to ride with us, assuming we can make it.

I had a great time last year and would recommend joining them to anyone (try and avoid Scoot like the plague tongue.gif) I however will be in Brainerd attempting to catch the ealpout that will send me home in a new truck. Ice fishing contests... has anyone ever been to one where a stupid ealpout hasn't won it? grin.gif

Quote:

We even have some small door prizes in store this year thanks to some of FM's great sponsors. Nothing like a LX5 but some lures and other gadgets for on the ice.

GADGETS!! cool.gifcool.gif Count me in grin.gif. I sold my Otter Resort though so I don't think I'll be spending the night in the portable this year. An Otter Den is a little tight to stretch out in.

c-ya all there!

FYI...I'm originally from Jamestown and fished the Dakota Anglers spring tournament on the Res last spring with my son. (he owns the Buff bar and lanes in Jamestown) We were constantly catching walleyes and sometimes all four lines. The number of doubles were amazing. Most were 13 1/2-3/4. The slot began at 14" crazy.gif but did we ever have fun. We limited with up to 18"ers both days. During prefishing, once we found them, we only used one rod a piece because you didn't have time for two grin.gif. I know there in there smile.gif and big snot rockets too. Oh...there's also crappies and some cribs put in for them. grin.gif

Ahhh..for memories: grin.gif In the mid 80's my bro in law and I caught a limit of 4.5 to 10.6 walleyes and perch to 14" from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm between Christmas and New Years on the east shore accross from Smokey's. I also had a northern on for 20 minutes that would have gone 48" for sure if I wasn't chicken to stick my hand in it's mouth to pull it out. The warden had heard I was in to a big one and I had about 8 people, including him, in the 8' x 10' house watching. No one had a gaf or would volunteer to gill it. frown.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif.