• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling motor hook up

Question

8 answers to this question

not advisable. The 10 gauage may heat up and cause a melt down depending on the length of wire. Best match the guage wire used on the motor.

Thanks for the replies. Its a minn-kota 40lb.thrust and in the manual it states 6 guage wire should be used. I thought it was a little heavy also but !!!

Run 6 guage from the trolling motor right up to the plug in connector. The econnomical way that I found, since 6 guage braided wire is not all that common at building centers, is to go out and buy 6 guage jumper cables. Cut the ends off and just use the wire. It will be easier to work with if you get quality cables with the soft flexible insulation. Purchase solder type battery connectors from an auto parts store like NAPA if you choose to use the wing nut connectors on the battery. I recommend soldering all trolling motor connections to get low resistance connections. The reason that 6 guage is recommended is for low resistance. Power dissapated by current = I*I*R. (I = amps, R = resistance) That power dissapated is in the form of heat in the wires and mechanical energy and heat in the motor. You want more power to go to the motor and less to heat the air and boat. It's even more important to use heavy guage wire on 12 volt systems than 24 volt systems because 24 volt motors draw half the current for the same power output.

go to a car audio retailer / install center and get some OFC (oxygen Free Copper) 8 gauge wire, used for installing those car stereo's, them boys that go thump thump spend big money on developing power cable to supply big current with a 12 to 14.4 volt system. good OFC 8Ga should be able to handle 80 to 90Amps continous at 100 deg farenheit. that cheap stuff they sell at other shops isnt heat and oil resistant also it uses fewer coarse strands of wire, the good stuff uses a rope technique of say 7x7x36ga so there is more surface area.
Contrary to belief surface area relates to ability to flow current whereas diameter relates to tempeture resistance. Metra has a line Called Tsunami try thier part # PR608/GN608 or PR908/GN908 (PR is red GN is Black) they also have gold plated brass connectors and ring terminals. I completely rewired my entire boat with tsunami 4 and 8 gauge wire and I have no doubts of being able to handle any amount of current needed. Also if your looking for quick disconnects, check out "superwinch" or any truck winch supplier.
shawn