• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seward Silver Fishing in mid-August

Last summer (2006) my fishing buddy and I went to AK for the first time in mid June to fish for Kings on the Kenai River. We also did a couple of days of Halibut fishing and took a side trip to Danali. We caught lots of fish. Several Kings were in the 50lb class. We also had a couple big halibut.

While we were there we talked to several different groups of guys who kept bringing up fishing for Silvers @ Seward in August. We have decided to head to Seward next August to check it out.

Has anybody fished the August Silver run in Seward? What should we expect? I hear the Silvers can be had in the bay just out of Seward. Any info would be appreciated.

We have three weeks to mess around. We've been talking about driving over to Valdez and take the boat to Cordova. If you have any other recommendations they would be welcomed.

All kids of questions arise here.....have done silvers out of seward several times over the years. Will you have a boat or looking for charters? looking to fish from Shore?

Lots of great Charters out of seward, I would recommend looking for smaller operators, the cattle boats get crazy.

Lots of 1/2 and 1/2 charters where you can get both silvers and halibut.....nice twist.....

I usually go end of July, spanning into early August for the sockeye run on the Kenai.....but silvers are always a blast.....I have a buddy up there who has snagged them when they come in at Seward thick.....so have fun and enjoy the view!!!

I loved Cordova!I haven't been there for about 7 years.If you go you should check out this huge sauna at the foot of the mountain.There's a snowmelt stream diverted with a pipe into a big claw tub to jump into when you're ready for a QUICK cooldown!I didn't fish there but lots of great adventuring!

Where do you fish for the Reds? I'm going to Seward 7/31 to 8/3 for a Halibut/Salmon charter and then heading to a place on the Kenai River called Kenai River Cabins out of Soldotna. I fished the Kenai River last Aug 6 and 7 and caught our limit of Reds.

I went to Soldatna last summer(2006) the first week in August. Our intent was to fish silvers, but we happened to hit the red run perfectly so we concentrated on them and had an absolute blast. We did do 2 silver trips on the Kenia and did get some, but they were not running real good just yet. I think the silvers had even more fight than the reds did. We stayed at a place called Sprucewood lodge a couple miles up the Kenia from Soldatna. What a beautiful place with a great view and excellent private shore fishing. We also went to Seward to sight see and it is another beautiful place, but we didn't fish there.

Having lived in Seward and spent about 7 summers there I know a little about the silvers there. In mid August you can catch some from shore but not the fast and furious action you think of when you think Alaska. In early to mid August I would recommend getting out in a boat if you want to catch more than a couple of fish, if any. The bulk of the silvers are still 2-10 miles or more out in the bay. They will come in thick most years for shore fishing as you get towards Labor Day into mid September. Valdez has a good silver run as does Cordova. Most places you will need a boat in mid August though.