• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Landing area lights for boat

Fathead

Question

Hello all,

Hey night fisherman, I am curiuos to know if you are currently using any sort of lighting for landing your fish? Are you using spotlights, flashlights? Have you rigged up any form of stationary lighting yourself for the landing area?
Let me know. I am tinkering with a few ideas for a product that can be temporarily mounted to your side gunnel of your boat to light the landing area with a flip of a switch.
I am just curious how most of you all tackle this.

6 answers to this question

I installed halogen docking lights to my splashguards. I got then from cabelas, they sell for 14.99. The kit comes with everything you need and a switch. I also have a dishpan 12 volt mounted on a piece of 1/4 galvanized pipe that also has a switch on the pole.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I use a hat light. You can get them at Menards and some Gander Mountains they look like the old minor lights. Works great because wherever I am looking the light shines in that direction.

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 04-12-2002).]

Fathead,
I built a light out of conduit and a stainless steel bowl. I cut the conduit about 8' long, then I used a bender and made a hook on one end so it looks like a J, I bought a replacement lamp socket and a cheap extension cord. Run the cord thru the conduit and a splicing conduit connecter (I'm not sure of the proper name but it's used to connect 2 pieces of conduit into a sleeve and it has set screws) connect the socket onto the wire and the socket will slide into the splicer then tighten the set screws on both the socket and conduit. You need to drill a hole close to the straight end of the conduit to run the cord out. Attach aligator clips onto the end of the cord so you can clip onto a deep cycle battery, so make sure you have plenty of cord depending on where your batteries are stored. To mount on the boat I bought a cast black pipe flange that has threads I screwed into the floor of the boat, with brass screws, next to my counsel (sp) then I added a threaded conduit connector with a set screw that the counduit slides into. On the top edge of the counsel I mounted a rod holder, a single large rod holder that has foam to grip the rod. I spliced a toggle switch into the extension cord that hangs on my counsel for easy access to turn the light on and off. I jimmyrigged the stainless steel bowl onto the light socket and I use a 12v standard light bulb. The whole thing stands about 6' high in the boat, when you turn it on it lights up a circle all the way around the boat for about 10' so you can land a fish from any side without messing around with any other kind of light. It's also much easier to tie lines with good light and as all of us know when night fishing you always end up with some kind of mess in the dark. The only drawback is don't turn it on unless you need it because the bugs love the bright light. If you like the idea and want more info. drop your email address and I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I fish a lot at night and just use the stern light for landing fish.For tying up rigs and lures a clip on flash light or "head"light works great.And for navigation at night I have two off road headlamps mounted on the bow of my boat.