• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Overheating?

Question

I have a 1990 - 60 hp Johnson and occassionally the warning tone for overheating comes on and the motor stops dead in the water and only runs at an idle. I let it sit for awhile and then it runs just fine.

I thought maybe the intake was clogged, but water is still shootin' out of it. I can't figure it out, but then again I'm no mechanical wizard.

Any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

I had an 89 Evinrude that did the same thing. I had the water pump replaced, end of problem. If the water coming out of the motor doesn't spray really hard it could be your problem. Then again I'm no expert either.

Even when the intake is slightly clogged these Johnsons will sound the warning. I usually stop it myself before it quits on its own. Tilt the motor up, brush off the intake, and give it start. Also, sometimes the cooling water will suck in debris that will clog the rubber outflow for used cooling water. Take that off and flush/clean before starting as well. This should help.

I had the same problem with a '94 Evinrude 200. I had intermittent water at the pickup and the S.L.O.W. temp limit cut in producing the symptom you described. I agree with Oscar to check the water pump, if it's 12 years old it may have gotten weak and let the powerhead get hot enough to trip the high temp protection.

I haven't had it checked out by anyone yet, but I'm gonna gave the water pump checked. Good possiblity it could be that. Don't know exactly when I'll get around to having it checked though.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!