• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hydrofoils & Stabalizers

Dan DAN the fisherman

Question

I have a 16.5' Fisher Avenger with a 60 hp merc bigfoot 4-stroke. I have 3 different props and still can't get good performance from it. It doesn't plane fast enough and when it does its hard to get max. performance without it porpoising. I was wondering if installing a Sting Ray or a SE sport would eliminate these problems. Or any other ideas would be great. Thanks,
Dan

------------------

3 answers to this question

Dan,

The hydrofoil stabilizer will help you get your boat out of the hole as well as keep it on plane at a lower speed. When set up properly it will have no effect whatsoever on top end performance. It functions as an extension of the hull's planing surface at low speeds and provides additional leverage to lift the boat out of the water. When the motor height is properly set, it is out of the water when the boat is planed out.

Check the mounting position of your motor on the transom. Adjust the trim so that the cavitation plate is parallel to the bottom of the hull. The plate should be positioned slightly above the hull bottom, and definitely not below it. If it is below the hull it will cause excess drag. The height can be adjusted by moving the the motor bracket higher up on the transom. Once that is set, you can address the porpoising by adjusting the weight distribution in the boat. Try moving the gas tank (or other weight)to the bow and see if the problem is reduced. This will also help the boat to plane faster. Too much positive trim will also cause porpoising so try backing that off as well. Keep the motor tucked in when starting out (negative trim) and adjust it only after the boat is on plane.