• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

beginer to walleye fishing

Question

i have fished all my life but never for eyes. i live in the NY catskill mts and all any one here fishs is trout so i can find no help from locals as they think any other fish is a waste of time. what tackel do you reccomend? how about lures? i have read all i can on the subject but would like to hear from real anglers and not just sport writers who push who ever places the biggest ads in there mags. thank you for any help you can give. have to go load my 12 bore so when the trout purists come to hang me, i have a figthing chance

------------------

2 answers to this question

Ernest
Walleye fishing can be one of the most confusing fish to begin fishing for. A lot depends on what type of water you are able to fish in, river, lake, deep or shallow, from shore or from a boat. Every situation can call for different tackle to allow the best presentation of your lure or bait. If you are limited on how much you can invest, put that money into a good spinning rod and reel. A 6' or 6 1/2'rod that is rated for 6-12lb line and a reel that balances on the rod,can get you started in most situations.
But buy the best quality you can afford, a good combo can run from $100-$200. Walleye fishing is mostly a feel presentation, and that is where a good rod pays for itself.
Rob

Hi earnest, Just assuming you have a boat. For starters you should have a GOOD locator and a working knowlege of boat control. My favorite method of catching walleyes are trolling spinners and lindy rigging with worms etc. Walleyes around here are very edge oriented, weed edges, sand to gravel or mud, transition edges along a breakline The spot on a spot as Buck Perry would say . Thats why a good locator comes into play. Dont shortchange yourself in the electronics department. Other than that a decent rod and reel with a good drag and the knowlege you've gained by reading and being a student of the sport and your set! As for lures i like rapala minnows, shad raps and thunder sticks. Choose the colors to match the hatch as your trout pals would say!! lol If you have dark water start with firetiger colors with rattles. Paul