• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye jigs, where to find some real good ones?

Basscaster

Question

I just started to fish for walleyes and I am going to Leech Lake from June 7 to 15.I would like to get educated on walleye jigs especially for this Lake and time.I need to find a place or someone who makes good jigs with good hooks.Does a good hook make a difference? I need ideas on colors(robinegg) , heads, shank size and gaps and size of hook compared to jig size.I fished with some 1/16 oz. jigs with a larger wire hook(1 size bigger) and thought that was a good idea.Post or send me your phone# and I will call.Thanks and have a safe year, Roy [email protected]

11 answers to this question

bass caster, the only jigs I use up here for the most part are northland fireball jigs or bugeye shorties from Jigs and Rigs,a local guy Named Jeff Sundin makes them,218-327-2375. I fish Leech quite a bit and I usally use a 1/8 oz short shank hook.colers I like best is something with blue/glow but many other colors are good.hope this helps
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Hay this is a no brainier.

For some high quality jigs made from components that do the job they are designed to do, go with “Scenic Tackle”.

Great hooks. (VMC)
They hold their edge well and hook fish solidly.
The best paint finish I have seen, very durable, great colors.
Jigs come in many weights, sizes, and models for any walleye situation on lakes or rivers.
Total quality of the product is outstanding.
Priced right!

Jigs designed by guides who trust them to do a days work. Why, because they pay the bills by producing fish and happy clients. Happy clients equals a happy guide.

Jeff at “Scenic Tackle” has assortments that will fill your needs for a price that won’t bust your play time budget.

When I need jigs for a tough job on river, I get them from Jeff because I know they will hold up and produce.

Good stuff!

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

The actual color of the jig, while important, will pale in comparison to other factors that will impact on you're success. Start off with an assortment of jigs, 1/8 ounce to 3/8, chartrues and flame orange for starters. Use the lightest jig that you can bounce and keep contact with the bottom. For walleyes in sandy lakes, a quality line no more than 6 lb. test, perhaps 8 lb over rock piles. Then purchase a small stone and keep you're jigs thumbnail stickin' sharp! You actually want to catch more of the fish that do hit. And if you still are missing fish, put on a stinger hook, but you'll also get more snags. You can identify jigs expressly made for use with stingers because they usually have two eyelets.

I have to throw a plug in for Scenic Tackle also. I buy ALL my jigs from Scenic Tackle now. Great colors, great hooks and Great paint. Just try to knock the paint off one of their jigs! I haven't found rocks that can do it yet. I have tried a lot of jigs in my day and Scenic Tackle Jigs are the BEST!

Jeff has also been willing to work with me on custom jigs. Those jigs that you know would work but no one makes. Jeff knows what he is doing and he does it well. Definetly worth giving a try!!ScottS

If you fish a lot of snag infested waters you may want to go to a less expensive jig. I buy most of my jigs in bulk through Cabelas or Bass Pro and paint them myself. Rockpiles can eat them up at a furious rate sometimes. The only problem is that most of come in a longer shank hook and may not meet most of your fishing situations. I think the biggest key is to make sure you keep the hook SHARP!

Thanks again to everyone who answered my question.I will now be prepared with some quality jigs, and now I will have an entire Plano filled with the right baits.Good luck to all. Anyone else have some input on jigs? The jig is just the start, the fisherman still has to find them and then catch em.So give credit to those who make a Quality jig. Roy