Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minnphatts

Baitcasting reel Abu-Garcia 5500 C3

6 posts in this topic

I also have several Garcia baitcasters, and I love them! There is no substitute for practice, when learning to use a baitcaster, after awhile the backlashes become less frequent. I would say that a 5500 does seem a bit large for lightweight cranks, but it also depends on the rod that you have it on. Good luck!!!

The best way for me to avoid backlash with Abu Garcias is to stand on the dock, push the spool release button (or bar) and let the lure fall to the water. If the line continues to unspool, I tighten the spooldrag until it stops turning as the lure hits the water.

Here's what I tell my dad. First start with a good rod. Then ya gotta snap it. Be aggressive, try not to be afraid of backlashes- They'll happen--at first. Don't lob your casts, stop the rod at one-o'clock, and practice. It WILL get better. Heavier lures work better and thats what you want a baitcaster for. Do as earlier posts said about setting the tension. Good luck, and don't give up. When you're snappin off casts left and right you'll be glad you stuck with it.

I recently purchases the AB 5500 C3 to use primarily with crankbaits (as recommened by a retailer). I'm having all kinds of problems with casting and bird nesting. Does anyone NOT recommend this reel for this type of fishing? I generally use this with smaller size cranks. Any recommondations or solutions? Is this reel not good for lighter tackle?

I own 3 Garcia reels, including 2 5500- series that I use for musky and bass. I suspect that you haven't got the spooldrag set correctly. That's the little knurled knob righ under the handle. Start tightening it down until you seriously retard the lengths of you're casts. Then practice, and loosen it up repetitively until you find the right balance between distance and not backlashing. Some other tips: the drag may setting may need to be changed ifyou are casting with or into the wind, or if you change lure weights. I do not like monofiliment line on my Garcia's either, but others I know use it. Greenspot is an inexpensive line to start out with. Use a leader if you want. You have a quality reel and it will provide years of service once you master casting, but don't get discouraged if on occasion you get a "professional backlash" it occasionally happens to everyone.

Thanks. I think all spend Sunday in hte driveway practicing. Any problem with using cranks under 1/4 oz?