• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Pike Photo Gallery

Rick

Thanks BnS, was a good weekend. Catching them while I can, I cant seem to find the biggies once the water warms. I assume they are out deep in mid summer so I will be hunting those areas later this year trying to keep on them.

I just returned from the BWCA last night with the story and fish of a lifetime.

My group and I had decided to go up early this year to try to catch some lake trout. We had pretty good success, but the bite shut off 3 days before the day we planned to exit. We decided to go do some walleye fishing, and what a great decision that turned out to be.

My friend and I were fishing under some rapids, catching walleyes on 1/8 ounce jigs and rainbows. Noon rolled around and the fishing got slow. I wanted to switch things up, and the kid inside of me came out. I saw what remained of a 6 lb bag of gummy bears sitting next to me in the canoe. I picked out a yellow one and threaded it onto the fire ball jig, followed by a rainbow. On my first cast I felt the tell tale tap of a walleye. I set the hook and got the 12-14 inch walleye with in 18 feet of the canoe. At this time the walleye was at the surface. We already had 3 walleye on the stringer- the perfect makings of a shore dinner for that night. I thought the day couldn’t get much better. Boy was I wrong.

As the fish neared the 15 foot mark, We were both amazed to see a huge pike roll on the walleye, swallowing the poor guy whole, just like a crappie might slurp down a small chub. I began to fight the fish, the whole time hoping the pike wouldn’t spit the walleye. After a 15 minute fight we landed the canoe to make the landing of the fish easier. I was able to land the fish, upon opening its mouth the only visible part of the walleye was its tail, which didn’t even come to the tip of the pikes tongue.

After a few quick pictures and measurements we released the fish to fight another day.

It is the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed while fishing. I just got back an enlarged photo and it is getting framed and going on the wall.

It was a great way to end a trip which started out poorly with our fully loaded canoe flipping, having to deal with wet food, breaking a rod and a nice bending branches paddle. All I can say is it was worth every minute of the trip just for that experience.

DSCN0904.jpg

Chadwick, first of all congratulations!!! That is an amazing fish and an even better story... in fact, that might be the best fishing story I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I will definately not leave for the BWCA without gummie bears from now on!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Chadwick, prepare for a trip to fish open water with Jonny P. That is an awesome story, great photo, and great fish. What a blast that must have been. And to not break off with the line in the pike's mouth and down its throat is amazing. Good fish handling for sure. Congrats on the great catch, so far this one has my vote. Thanks for sharing.

I just returned from an annual Canadian fishing trip.

The pike were feverish and in 5 to 10 feet of water.

There were chasing bait fish top-water and leaping out of the water!

One night I had on a huge beast. I was casting rapalas in a shallow bay with a creek. I caught and released a bunch of nice pike in the small area where the creek met the bay. I threw out one more cast and it was smashed by an enormous pike.

It was the fattest, thickest pike I have ever handled.

I could barely get my hand around it to land it. I lifted it up into the boat - the rapala was t-boned in her mouth but only barley hooked. The fish thrashed and sprayed white pike stuff every where! You can see still on the boat in the picture. My friend had a camera stored out of the way and suggested I measure the fish while he got his camera.

I set her next to the rule on the side of the boat and she thrashed flipped right into the water! It was the biggest pike I've ever caught, but no picture.

Here's a shot of the 3rd largest pike I caught, which is the only photo I got of any of the pike on this trip.

IMG_1134.JPG

Sorry - I messed up when originally adding the photo. I just updated it.

The photo is of the 3rd largest pike - not the one that got away.

All the pike last week were fairly large and handsome.