• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tackle Box

Grabs

Question

So who makes the best all around tackle box? I need something to handle all of my fishing needs, from crankbaits(small, med, large), spinnerbaits, and lindy rig style spinners. And then still have room for misc tackle and tools. I have gone through and grown out of a few tackle boxes now, and I finally think I know what I want and what I need, but I am not certain I have found the box that fits my needs on the market yet.

Anyone have one they are really happy with?

8 answers to this question

I have tried every thing and nothing on the market suits me.No matter what tackle box I use I always end with lures all scattered about and unorganized.Most of my tackle just ends up on the dash.What they really need to invent is a box that when you drop a rig or lure it automatically puts it in the right spot for you! grin.gif
The best one I have come up with is the larger softside boxes that have pockets on the outside.The Inside is for all your Plano 3700 boxes that you can remove or add as you need them for different species and the pockets hold all you accesesories and line for tying up rigs.

i went to a soft sided bag about four years ago. i love it. most of the time i only grab one or two of the plastic boxes and take those. but works great to change them for the different types of fishing i plan for the day. mine hold 5 of the 3700. my spinner bait bag goes in front along with tools. and have the side pouches for other stuff. del

After meesing around with a number of tackle boxes I picked up water proof duffel bag. They had them at the sportman's show last year. There are plenty of pockets for tools, gear, etc and I can fit ten or so plano boxes in it. It's slick because I have plano boxes staked in my garage and I just grab the ones I need that day for the type of fishing I'm going to do. Then I use a spereate bag for all of my soft plastics.

I purchased the plastic boxes with dividers that you can find in your tackle or hardware dept. I then put each rig or lure in a seperate part of the tackle box with any information I want on how to use it and the name of it taped to the top of the box. That way when I open a box I can look at the lid and know what lure it is and when or how to use it. I keep the spinners on the black and green rubber roll keepers and place those in the large sections of these boxes. I have all my weights, leaders, hooks, jigs etc in one box. I have one box that just has my power worms etc in. I taped our fishing licenses to the top of one of the boxes. I then place two boxes in a canvas tote that has a shoulder strap. So I have two canvas totes which fit nicely under the boat seat storage in our boat. The only hard part is getting anyone that uses a piece of equipment to put it back where they got it! By using the adjustable plastic boxes I can get all my tackle in the correct size partition and they keep everything neat and organized.

------------------
Phyl

....large bag or duffle is the way to go...
....put in plastic boxes, other equipment
....can be put in 'ziplocks' to keep it dry.
....can also put the whole thing in a garbage
....bag if it rains....
....wet lures and equip't is your biggest
nitemare....

Compartments in my Targa 18 hold stuff, my boathouse is filled with stuff, and my wife says there's too much fishing stuff in the house.

As a partial solution, I've put together a large soft-side tackle box with a variety of lures and tackle so I have something to grab and take along if I'm not pulling my boat. It helps to have portable gear for trips when you may fish with someone else -- not that I'm ready to give up boat ownership.

I use a soft tackle system with the plastic trays as well for most of my tackle.

I've also found the Tackle Logic Spinnerbait and Worm Wraps (the nylon zipper bags containing bound pages of zip lock bags) to be a very organized and compact way of storing spinnerbaits and soft plastic baits.

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 04-03-2002).]

After years of frustration, I just purchased a Frabil Tackle Station, a soft sided tackle box. (This is my walley box. Not big enough for musky stuff). I also went to Wahlgreens pharmacy and purchased as many small pill bottles that they would sell me. All the small stuff, like swivels, hooks, etc. goes into a pill bottles. No more tiny plastic bags. My spinners are kept on a piece of pipe insulation, and all have an "ant" swivel. The swivel goes in the slit on the insulation, the leader is wrapped around and the hook imbedded into the insulation. The insulation is cut about as long as the plastic tray that I keep them in. One 9" x 14" x 2"high box can hold an amazing number of spinners. I've got another just for snelled floaters, and the floaters are labelled 18", 3', 5', etc. so I know what length leader I'm going to put on a Lindy rig. This has been the most successul method for me to keep leaders from tangleing. Each plastic box is for one fishing method: stick baits, live bait, shore casting, etc. I'm convinced, better organization of tackle = more time for hooks in the water.