• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a Flasher - MarCum or Vexilar

Matt Johnson

Timber - How much ice fishing do you plan on doing, one or two days a week 3-4 days a week? What species fish will you be fishing for? Depth guesstimate? What can you afford?

I would take a look at the LX-3 and the reason I say this is there are some sales going on for reconditioned upgraded units that are $100 to $120 off that come with a full one year warranty. However the VX-1 is very attractive at the $199 price after manufacturer's mail in rebate. Sounds like you have a decision to make and Ican assure you that you will get more value for your dollar with MarCum. If I didn't have an LX-5 or LX-3 already you bet I would have a VX-1. I know there was a comparison sheet that had all the data with it. Maybe we can get that posted.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Duane- Thanks for the heads up... I dont put a ton of credit to dry testing, but I do trust your knowlege. As soon as there is walkable ice I will have it on the ice to try out. I do have a MarCum LX-5 and a Vexilar FL-18 to test it up next to.

I will post results as I have time to get out... COME ON COLD WEATHER!

Don't waste your time the LX5 is a better unit IMO, I have done the test and spent the cash.

In 20 fow w/3' of weeds the LX5 cuts through so much better to see your jig and fish.

That's just one example.

Tod- I am aware how nice the LX-5 is... I already have one. I have a eletronics addiction! As Stated I like to have backup units for friends/family to use.. Hence why I have an LX-3/FL-18/and VPG to go with the LX-5.. Your totally right. If you want the best get the LX-5, hands down.

to cny tim. i'm in the same boat as timber n i'm a newbie. just looking to spend around $250-$300. this is my second season of ice fishing. my friends have vexilar's. so i'm kinda use to it them but it seems like the marcum vx-1 seems like a really good deal. it's time i get something for myself. not a hardcore fisher, maybe bout once or twice a week 4 to 6 hrs. early in the season i fish for walleye's in shallow n late season crappies. i'd say the deepest we'll fish would be bout 40ft-50ft. shallowest would be about 12ft. just need your experienced opinion or anybody else on here that can help me decide vexi or marcum. best bang for the buck n a good reliable flasher for a beginner. tia.

Pary - Well Pary I want to be the first to welcome you to Fishing Minnesota and hope you stick around and enjoy the many great fishing and hunting forums we have here. Lot's of experienced guys to help you with plenty of good advice.

Now to your question... Although the VX-1 sounds inviting especially at the mail in rebate price of $199, having up to $300 in your budget Pary you could get a reconditioned MarCum LX-3 with the true color upgrade I believe for $299 , that's $100 off the original price and that comes with a warranty. Visit Pete over at Fishingprostore and tell him CNY Tim sent ya from FishingMinnesota. I have years of experience with the LX-3 and I have quite a few buddies that are running original units going into there 5th season. Marcum is made in the U.S.A. and there customer service is top notch. You get more for less with MarCum it's as simple as that! Good luck with your purchase Pary and stop in the New York forum sometime that's where I hang my hat smile.gif Thank you for your question and welcome aboard! cool.gifsmile.gif

This may be talked about in the posts above, but I didn't see it in my quick skim of the posts-

With the zoom on the LX-5 are you able to split the screen so you can see the entire water column on one side and the zoom area on the other side like the vexilars are capable of?

Nitro:

For both the LX-3 AND LX-5, the zoom mode splits the screen, giving you an enlarged view in the left hand portion, and entire water column view in the right hand portion of the screen. This is similar to the split screen of the vexilars.

The difference is that on the LX-5 and LX-3, the zoom window is either 5 or 10 feet (you select), and adjustable throughout the water column. That last feature is one that I've found key in targeting species that suspend throughout the ice season, like Crappies, Lake Trout, and many times bluegill. The Vexilar zoom only captures the bottom 6ft on the FL-18, or the bottom 6 or 12 ft. on the FL-20.

Joel

Just to add to what Joel said in regards to the LX-5 and LX-3 is that as you go to the deeper 80' setting you have either 10 or 20' zoom and in the 160' you can choose between a 20 or 40' which as mentioned above is adjustable but also expandable grin.gif

Pary,

Reading your post, I thought of myself last year at this time. I was undecided between the two brands. My father-in-law had an FL-8, was very happy with it and he caught a lot more fish than I did using nothing. (Of course, when he was up 6-0 on me, he'd finally turn it my way so I'd stop swearing at him.) After much research, I found a sale on the LX-3's at $325 or so, and bought one. CNY Tim and others were extremely helpful after I bought the unit in explaining ALL of the features and making me comfortable using it. These guys truly are experts and will help you out every step of the way. I've since been able to do a side-by-side with the FL-8 and can honestly say, I'm very glad I went with Marcum. I absolutely LOVE the zoom feature when targeting crappies that are suspended, and walleyes hugging the bottom. Plus, there is no interference on my screen from the FL-8..NONE (the two units sit 3ft apart). My father-in-law can't say the same.

It's an incredible unit, to say the least. It's helped me catch many more fish, and I refuse to fish without it.

Pary, no the upgraded LX-3 is not exactly the same as the LX-3tc. I talked to Marcum/ProFishingStore and the "old" LX-3 with the upgrade only has 6 levels of IR, whereas the "new" LX-3tc has 12 levels. For the $100 difference I took the reconditioned LX-3 with the tc upgrade.

Travis

Thanks guys!!! yeah i've been doing some research and price comparison for the past 2 weeks now and i think i'm gonna go with the marcum lx-3 with tc upgrade. I first thought that marcum were really overpriced compared to vexes but after reading a little bit on this forum and comparing them the marcum actually seems like its the best bang for the buck. Hopefully it's not to complicated to use and learn how to use the features. We'll see if i can keep up and not get out fished by my friends with vexes, i guess it's better then not having one. Thanks you all.

is the zoom really worth that extra $100 or $200 depending on which flasher you buy? still debating if i should get the vx-1 compared to the reconditon vx-3. i mean vx-1 has that zoom also but limited n does the vx-1 split the screen in half also? just trying to save a buck or two n maybe use that extra $100 or so on some other fishing equipment/accessories. what i'm trying to say is can the vx-1 do just as good as or same as the vx-3? tia.

tbeste is absolutely correct the new LX3TC's do have 12 I.R. channels not to say that the originals with only 6 channels are definitely no slouch either, if needed. I remember the first couple of times I had to use the I.R. on my original LX-3 I think I hit the button only twice and it was clear..

Eckie - What can I say.. Thank you sir!

Pary - The VX-1 is a great starter unit, it was built as a price point entry unit and for the price backs some sweet features, however ONCE YOU fish zoom, you will be absolutely hooked so why not go bigger? If you can afford it. All the MarCum units split screen if there is a zoom on them, the only one that doesn't is the LX-1. Whichever you decide welcome to the MarCum family and good luck with your unit. If you have any questions at all just ask here at FM, we have a very knowledgable staff and were here for you... smile.gif

MYPEARL - Yes you can... The open water transducer is available on MarCum's web site so you can go hard or soft water no problem...

I bought my first flasher last year and walked in to the store planning on an fl-8, but walked out with the lx-2. I would probably have liked the lx-3 better but i am completely happy with my purchase. I firmly believe that zoom is a must in order to get bottom separation in deeper water. The zoom and much more power are well worth the extra $30-40 than the genz pack I had originally wanted. It's quieter and a more crisp display

The LX-5 is about 20 bucks more then the FL-20. but the LX-5 is so way much more flasher. I was a hard core FL-8 fan in fact I still have my first FL-8 that was made by Hondex. But now that the LX-5 is out. there is just no comparison. I am actually disappointed that Vexilars Answer to compete with the LX-5 is the FL-20.

It is severly under powered, the added features don'y compare to the LX-5 either.

Don't get me wrong if you get one for a gift it is still a nice unit. But IMO if you are spending your money on a flasher 20 bucks more gets you the best you can possibly get in a flasher unit.

Is the camera that cabela's is selling a genuine Marcum just with their name on it does anyone know? The price is about 30% cheaper then the real McCoy .Also I was hoping to get a report from someone that has Used It. Thanks in advance

I believe there reconditioned, and they come with a 1 year warranty... Pary, the guys that have purchased from fishingprostore have been very impressed with there service and quick delivery. To be honest I would imagine they have very few left because another site has been purchasing them with a sponsor's special. I don't know how long they will last and I don't want you to miss it. All I can tell you is there are quite a few original LX-3's left around here getting ready to start there 5th ice season with no let up... MarCum units are made in the U.S.A. and I will put there customer service up against anybodies.