• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a Flasher - MarCum or Vexilar

Matt Johnson

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power is always going to be a topic that will be debated, and it really goes both ways. Some say the extra power only causes problems, while others say the extra power is needed in order to gain the upper hand.

The 2000 watts of power in the LX-5 does allow it to knock out (over power) opposing signals, which in turn gives it a more clear read-out. Now, does that create havoc on other nearby units? Sometimes yes and sometimes no, it all depends on the situation and which units are nearby.

Yes, the LX-5 will create some problems if a Vexilar is nearby, and you'll more than likely receive a few comments from the nearby Vexilar user(s) if too many MarCums are in the same area wink.gif But, if it's another MarCum nearby, then you're OK and things can be adjusted.

Now again, nearby Vexilars can be adjusted to reject the signal, so don't think that it's a game of rock vs. scissors, because it's not a win-lose situation. I've fished next to Vexilars and we've been alright, but the problem occurs when multiple (more than 2 on average) join the party.

Pros of having a lot of power? Knocking out opposing signal and a better return signal.

Cons of having a lot of power? Frustrated nearby anglers if the situation arises.

The noise factor (ticking) doesn't really play a role because the noise created by anglers on the ice (feet stomping/moving around, etc) will have more of an effect. Fish hear lower frequency sounds much more than high ones, and the ticks we hear from the LX-3tc and LX-5 are not as crushing to the underwater world. I've used my LX-5 in less than 5 feet of water and have had great success.

Does the LX-5 hold up in nasty weather? I hit the ice over 50 times last winter and my LX-5 was with me on every trip. Some days it was well below zero and snowing, other days it was sleeting, other days it was sunny, etc. I'm also tough on my equipment and I fish hard. Needless to say I'll be using that exact same LX-5 this winter... and it runs as good as new smile.gif

A flasher unit is a very important piece of the ice fishing puzzle, and whether you're on the ice with a MarCum or Vexilar, it's important that you understand what you're fishing with and that it suits you the best. This is not an issue that should be looked at as one being better than the other, but rather an issue of which one will help YOU be the best ice angler you can be...

Having used the LX-3 and FL-18 both rather extensively, there is no doubt in my mind that the LX-3/5 differentiate targets better than the Vexilars. Especially in shallow, weedy conditions. My suspicion is that it is not so much a power issue as it is that the Marcums components are better matched. Vexilar's use of a Low Power mode is really just a bandaid to attempt to fix a transducer and receiver that should be better matched. In shallow weeds, I'll take the Marcum over the Vex any time - I can differentiate my jig so much better than with the Vex (even in LP mode), it's not even funny. I should mention that I'm using the pre-true color LX-3 still - have not upgraded to the TC yet. I have to believe the TC gives you even better definition. I think power is somewhat of a moot point - but a good selling point :-)

LaZyDayZ

I believe its 3ft wide for every 10ft of depth with the wider 19/20* angle. Not sure about the narrow transducer. I have a seperate narrow transducer that works great for out in 30ft of water in multiple person fish houses.

I recently looked at the FL-20 at a local store, and the first question I had/now have is'where is the bottom lock feature'? I currently have a FL-18,so I figured the new model would have the same features as the older one. What's up with it?This question I have really isn't the same as part of the topic as the Marcum vs. Vexilar thing, but I will say this if there is no bottom lock feature on the FL-20, I will not buy it.Am I missing something from the product description that Matt posted, or what else I have seen/read on the internet about the FL-20?Without the bottom lock on the 20, I would rather spend the money on a Marcum unit, and make my own comparisions between the two brands, as a side note.

Huskie - I read that vex responded to someone that the dimmer switch on the FL-20 they felte was more important than the bottom lock maybe that's why they eliminated it, not enough room for both?crazy.gif The bottom lock was canned because most people never used it? that's from what I read anyways. Same guys that said a 6' bottom zoom is all you will ever need? The FL-20 is too expensive, too little and too late. What do you have to look forward to flat screen blobs, please. Huskiedevle, once you fished the LX-5 you will see in finer detail and precision what you were missing from Vexilar, I know I did and many others here as well.

On a side note I noticed MarCum as a major sponsor on another great ice fishing forum. Kudo's to MarCum'advancements and word of mouth of fishers that use there fine products. Just goes to show you that word of mouth is the best form of flattery, not just flooding the market with advertisements and product MarCum's motto says it all, "One step ahead"

Advancements

Price

U.S. designed and built

Thanks for the info.,Tim.Why is it companies have to 'fix' what ain't broke to begin with?I don't get it.A dimmer switch is more important than bottom lock?I am still shaking my head at that one. Bottom lock works great for me on the rivers, after converting my icefishing set up for use in the boat. I bought the FL- 18 only because I got a great deal on the propack. Brand allegiance isn't such a big deal for me, as long as what I have works, and works well.All I have ever bought is Vexilar, but that is not necessarily burned in stone that it has to be that way. Vexilar dropped the ball on the FL-20 IMHO, so a Marcum I may have to check into.

MATT, JUST TELL ME WHERE THE COOK BOOK IS, DONT TELL ME HOW TO GROW THE WHEAT,REVIEW THE SOIL SAMPLES, OR WHERE THE SUGAR CAME FROM. JUST TELL ME HOW THE CAKE TASTES. IF YOU HAVE PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH,TELL US WHICH ONE IS BETTER.

ANY ONE CAN READ. THATS WHY THEY SPEND MONEY TO BE ON THIS SITE.

LIGHTLINE,

I haven't used the FL-20 on the ice yet, but I've played with it this summer/fall. The FL-20 will perform just fine, there is nothing wrong with it. I did notice that it does appear harder to read in direct sunlight. If you like the way the FL-18 or FL-8 performed, then you'll like the new FL-12 and FL-20, as long as you can get used to the new screen, that seems to be the biggest obstable that I've been hearing from those who are Vexilar diehards.

In my honest opinion, I do like the new FL-20, but I would rather have the FL-18 display/face... just personal preferrence...

I'm anxious to hear the reports from those who use the low-power mode of the FL-20 when targeting shallow water fish, as the topic of noise and output seems to be a hot one right now...

And again, I'm in favor of both companies, as they both make a nice product. Give me a MarCum or a Vexilar and I'm going to catch fish, I just happen to feel that the LX-3tc and LX-5 more cater to my personal demands as an ice angler...

We tried the target seperation at Cabela's using different it but that wass out of water. W found you got see things only .75 to 1 different in height. As to power I feel to lower may help keep fish under the holes lower, as they can sense differ wave lenghts of of sound much like what the units put out. (((A tip some may if using super lines and get the flashs up the lines. I have been tring a fly fishing gel called Xink you rub it into your so far I have clear down the false lines I get on my summer jigging. It is designed to sink the tippets to fly fishing lines. which may help sink the lines wne icefishing. )))) I'll let you know how it works when fishing this winter.

MATT'

I ALSO OWN THE FL20 PRO PACK, I RECIEVED IT BEFORE THE ICAST SHOW FROM A SPONSOR OF MINE AND I FOUND THAT THERE WHERE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE READING IN ANY KIND OF LIGHT DUE TO THE GRADE OF LIGHT THAT IT PRODUCES AND IT IS ALSO PROVIDED WITH A DIMMER BECAUSE IT IS SO BRIGHT IN THE NIGHT. YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ THIS FROM THE STERN OF THE BOAT AND MINE IS PLACED ON THE BOW FOR TROLLING AND JIGGING.

Quote:

Lightline,

Theres a little button on the left side of your keyboard...called a 'capslock'...
cool.gif

Yeah at times it may annoy some because it is considered as SHOUTING online but do we really have to be so ANAL about things . confused.gif

TD

Quote:

Quote:

Lightline,

Theres a little button on the left side of your keyboard...called a 'capslock'...
cool.gif

Yeah at times it may annoy some because it is considered as SHOUTING online but do we really have to be so ANAL about things . confused.gif

TD

I agree with mjhowe. It is much harder to read text in all caps. Its just easier to read when you type normal. I think thats what he was getting at. I could care less if someone wants to shout cool.gif

LOL @ RW..

and AquaVu-VPG?

All kidding aside, if I were buying a new flasher, I would deffinatly stop and talk to Matt at Thorne Brothers!!!!

I'm not going to lie.. I own a Marcum LX-5, a Marcum LX-3, a Vexilar FL-18 and an Aqua-Vu VPG(which I havn't had out of the box yet.)

I have a depth finder addiction!!!!! frown.gifsmile.gif

Brian,

I'm thinking 2 weeks will be good... and yes, those stumpfields can be tricky wink.gif I'm sure we'll be the first ones out there again this year grin.gif

RW,

There is now actually a x67c on display as well, but no 68... and the VPG's are supposed to be coming in soon...