• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a Flasher - MarCum or Vexilar

Matt Johnson

(I put a post up last year about this topic as well, and this year I've added the new models for both MarCum and Vexilar, as well as more info. Hopefully it will shed a little more light on this high-demand topic)...

It’s an understandable and valid question, “Which one to get, Marcum or Vexilar?” The topic gets brought up on a regular basis and for good cause. Both brands are intended for similar purposes, both brands have units with similar prices, and both brands are available at many different tackle stores and are at the same place, at the same time. So, which one to get?

Eventually it will all come down to personal preference, and each person will either choose what they are most comfortable with, what they feel suits their fishing needs the best, or which unit lies more in their price range (adding in the factor of certain deals, discounts and help from friends or whatnot). For me, at least when talking about a piece of fishing equipment like a flasher unit, I’ll throw out the last variable all together. I’m willing to spend a few extra bucks to make sure I’m getting what I want, but that’s just me.

Your flasher unit is your fish’s mood indicator (in reference to what’s around it) when out on the ice, and it’s very important that you have a unit that will give you everything you want. Too much time is already wasted out on the ice trying to locate fish, so I’m trying to limit the amount of wasted time trying to get them to bite once I find them. Having a flasher unit that performs the way you want it is highly important, and being that the flasher unit plays the role it does, it only seems right that you make sure it’s the one for you. So with tossing out the last variable, we now have “which particular unit are you the most comfortable with” and “which particular unit suits your ice fishing needs the best.”

Being comfortable with a piece of fishing equipment is important, and being comfortable and understanding your electronics can save a lot of frustration and headache when out on the ice. Many ice anglers have used Vexilar (Hondex, etc) for years and years, mainly because it was one of the only options available and at the time it was truly cutting edge. Vexilar has helped a lot of ice anglers catch more fish, I don’t think anyone is going to argue that, but it wasn’t always the only option. Later we had more units available (Clearwater Classic, Zercom, Hummingbird, etc) and more options were thrown at ice anglers. I’ve used all three and put time into each one, and again, it comes down to the 3 variables when choosing a flasher unit, “comfort, productiveness/fishing needs, and price range.”

Some of these units were priced right and anglers bought them. Saving a hundred or so bucks was well worth it to many people, and I’m not going to argue that, but I personally would save up the few extra bucks until I had what I considered to be the best unit for me. Then, we had a new advancement in flasher units, one that would truly rival Vexilar, and that came in the form of MarCum. Competition is a good thing; I don’t think anyone is going to argue with that.

Now, the Clearwater Classic and other units work just fine, and people have used them for years to catch fish as well, but having the much demanded three-color technology along with the widespread availability, put Vexilar and MarCum on the same page. Everyplace you went you saw Vexilar and MarCum, both running at about the same price, both stocked full of features and both in the hands of ice anglers. You hear one thing from one person, one thing from another person and then something totally different from someone else. Makes choosing the right flasher pretty tough, especially if you don’t have the experience of previously owning a flasher unit.

Many ice anglers have been using Vexilar since the beginning, or close to, and they are strong in their ways and won’t switch to anything else. That’s fine, they are free to use what they want, no arguments. Some Vexilar users (like me in the past) made the switch to the MarCum units once they came onto the market. And then we have the new buyers who have been buying either Vexilar or MarCum (or both) not knowing a whole lot about either one. Sure they might gather a few pieces of info from magazines, articles, word of mouth and from websites or whatnot, but often times there was not enough planning before buying the unit.

You need to sit down and ask yourself what you want out of your flasher unit. Are you a recreational ice angler who will only fish once or twice a month? Are you a die hard who spends every waking hour on the ice? What type of fish to you target? Deep water? Shallow water? Bottom hugging fish or suspended fish? There are hundreds of questions that should be running through a person’s brain before making a selection on which flasher unit is best for them. However, hopefully I can layout a few of the more sought out answers…

Both Vexilar and MarCum provide a variety of flasher units ranging from standard, more basic flashers, all the way to the high-end, fully-loaded flasher with all the bells and whistles.

Here’s a list of the various flashers available for ice anglers between MarCum and Vexilar and a little more background info on each…

MarCum VX-1

• 600 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
  • Adjustable Multi-level Interference Rejection
  • 2.5” Target Seperation
  • Super Bright Display
  • Bottom Zoom (5’ in 20 and 40 foot scale, 10’ in 80 foot scale, 20’ in 160 foot scale)

A basic overview of the VX-1… This unit comes complete with battery, charger, electronics shuttle with adjustable transducer arm, self-aligning transducer, gimbal bracket, and VX-1 sonar powerhead. The Marcum VX-1 offers their patented interference rejection, a bottom zoom feature that automatically locks on bottom: 5' in 20- and 40-ft scale, 10' in 80-ft scale, and 20' in 160-ft scale, and expertly engineered receiver design. With its 600 watts of peak-to-peak power and complete package of features and accessories.

MarCum LX-2

• 1,000 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
  • 3 color display
  • 20° Self-aligning Transducer
  • “Auto Zoom” mode which automatically sets the zoom window to the bottom 5 or 10 feet, your choice
  • 600 denier PVC backed embroidered soft pack carrying case
  • Electronics shuttle with adjustable transducer arm

A basic overview of the LX-2… This sonar unit offers superior features at an affordable price. Featuring the new “Auto Zoom” mode which automatically sets the zoom window to the bottom 5 or 10 feet, your choice. The LX-2 has 1,000 watts of output power and offers a patented “Interference Rejection” system that knocks out interference from other nearby sonar.

MarCum LX-3tc

• 1,500 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
  • 3 color display – TrueColor technology
  • 20° Self-aligning Transducer
  • 2.15" Target Separation
  • Adjustable Zoom Anywhere in the Water Column
  • Weather-resistant, padded soft pack
  • Fully automatic DCS (Digital Charging System - fully automatic three stage charging system with LCD display) with battery monitor

A basic overview of the LX-3tc… The LX-3tc three-color sonar flasher has a patent pending TrueColor display. TrueColor is the latest from MarCum Technologies improving color separation and resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visible display (even in bright sunlight). The LX-3tc is manufactured in the USA and boasts 1,500 watts of peak to peak power. Featuring a patented adjustable Zoom Mode that allows the user to choose between a 5 or 10 foot Zoom window in the 20 & 40 ft scale or choose between a 10 or 20 foot Zoom window in the 80 scale & a 20 or 40 Zoom window in the 160 foot scale. The Zoom window can be moved anywhere between the surface and bottom. This allows the user to effectively utilize the flexible Zoom Mode to display suspended fish as well as separating those difficult to see bottom huggers. Target separation improves from 2.15 to 1 inch in the Zoom Mode. The unit has a patented new and improved twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units.

MarCum LX-5

• 2,000 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
  • 3 color display – TrueColor technology
  • 8° or 20° cone angle: dual beam feature
  • Adjustable Multi-level Interference Rejection: 12 levels
  • Down to 0.75" Target Separation with SuperFine Line
  • Adjustable Zoom Anywhere in the Water Column
  • Weather-resistant, padded soft pack
  • Fully automatic DCS (Digital Charging System - fully automatic three stage charging system with LCD display) with battery monitor

A basic overview of the LX-5… The LX-5 sonar flasher features MarCum's patent pending TrueColor Display. TrueColor is the latest from MarCum Technologies improving color separation and resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visible display (even in bright sunlight). The new LX-5 is the most powerful, most sensitive, most feature laden flasher ever designed. Manufactured in the USA, this sonar unit boasts 2,000 watts of peak to peak power. The LX-5 comes standard with a dual beam transducer. To switch between the 8 and 20 degree cone angle is as simple as the touch of a key. The unit has a patented twelve level “Interference Rejection” feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units. The LX-5 incorporates a patented movable zoom feature that allows the user to zoom in on a segment of water anywhere within the water column. This unit also features another of MarCum Technologies latest break throughs, SuperFine Line. The SuperFine Line feature allows the user to improve the units resolution resulting in target separation down to .75 inch. You can now use the unit in its full display and separate those hard to see bottom hugging Walleyes.

Vexilar FL-8

• 400 Watts of Peak-to-Peak Power
  • 9°, 12°, 19° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
  • Exclusive Interference Rejection: 10 Step
  • 2.65" Target Separation

A basic overview of the FL-8… A 400-Watt transmitter and an ultra-sensitive receiver back the vivid display. It is easily sensitive enough to show the thermocline and plankton layers. The colors and high sensitivity also make finding changes in bottom content easy. And Ice fishermen know the FL-8 series flashers have become famous for their ability to see small baits at deep depths. The FL-8 SE can be rigged for almost any application. With a wide variety of transducers and accessories to choose from, the FL-8 SE can be used year-round. Improved Interference Rejection technology lets you fish side by side with almost any flasher or LCD graph with interference free operation. The 10 step IR switch lets you knock out interference between you and another depth finder. FL-8 SE anglers can even fish two depth finders in the same ice shelter or boat. It allows you to have two depth finders close together on a boat or in a fish house without the annoying interference.

Vexilar FL-12

• 19° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
  • Large Wide-Angle Display: The flat-screen display is 12% larger than the FL-8
  • 20' Low Power Mode (LP): Reduces the output power by 50%
  • Super Bright and Rock Solid Display
  • Target ID: 1”
  • Weatherproof High Impact Case
  • Five Depth Scales: 20', 40', 60', 80', and 200'

A basic overview of the FL-12… The FL-12 operates using only two control knobs and offers a ten step interference rejection feature. The operation of the FL-12 is similar to the FL-8. Externally, the classic three-color flasher display performs like the FL-8, but internally, the sonar receiver has been enhanced to increase the system's immunity to noise. The FL-12 is a 200 kHz frequency unit with depth ranges capable of showing depths to 200 feet. It also offers a new 20' Low Power, shallow water range option built right into the range control, so you can fish in super shallow water and get a very clean signal, even in weeds.

Vexilar FL-18

• 12° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
  • Auto Zoom Mode
  • Bottom Lock Mode
  • Low Power Mode

A basic overview of the FL-18…The FL-18 offers a patented split screen flasher display. This allows you to zoom-in on the bottom six feet while watching the entire water column at the same time in real time. The Auto Zoom mode is fantastic for watching Perch or Walleye while ice fishing. These fish commonly hold tight on the bottom, and with a target ID of less than 1/2 inch, the FL-18 makes them easy to spot. And that's not all. The FL-18 depth finder / fish finder is equipped with features like a built-in shallow water mode for fishing waters under 15 feet. Five depth scales down to 200 feet for the standard model, and down to 300 feet for the custom deep model. Built-in interference rejection. A three color LED readout that tells you if the targets you see are weak (green) medium (orange) or strong (red). This three color LED technology has proven to be the most reliable and accurate way of understanding where fish are holding.

Vexilar FL-20

• Auto Zoom Mode (AZ): Gives a half screen zoom window of the bottom six feet or bottom 12 feet of depth
  • 12° (standard), or Dual 9/19 Beam Transducer
  • Large Wide-Angle Display: The flat-screen display is 12% larger than the FL-8
  • 20' Low Power Mode (LP): Reduces the output power by 50%
  • Super Bright and Rock Solid Display
  • Target ID: .5”
  • Five Depth Scales: 20', 40', 60', 80', and 200'

A basic overview of the FL-20… The FL-20 uses the same easy to operate, three-knob control system as their popular FL-18 Flasher sonar, but with some enhanced features. A ten step inference rejection feature is standard with the FL-20. You will also be glad to know the Vexilar FL-20 enhanced receiver performance and increased noise immunity. This means less inference when fishing with other 200 kHz systems. The FL-20 boasts two auto zoom ranges that split the display screen to let you focus in on just the bottom 6 or 12 feet of the water column, depending on your needs. The FL-20 is capable of showing target I.D. of less than 1/2 inch, but can also display depths down to 200 feet. Another new feature is a 20 foot shallow water mode that is available for anglers when fishing in thick weeds or in very shallow water.

So, what does all this mean? Some features are obvious in distinguishing between some of the differences between Vexilar and MarCum. For example, the amount of power each unit provides. MarCum provides up to 2,000 watts and Vexilar provides 400 watts. The argument is brought up every year on the issue that added power only causes problems, or that not enough power doesn’t allow you to see what you’re suppose to see, it goes both ways.

The new Vexilar models with the enhanced color displays are much better than the Vexilars of old, hands down, and both the MarCum and Vexilar units both provide a clear signal read-out, allowing us to better distinguish between certain fish in a school or when our bait is amongst that school of fish. It also helps us better distinguish where our jig is amongst the weeds, especially on lakes where we have to fish through 5 feet of weeds to get to the bottom where the fish are. Both companies have designed products that provide a clear readout.

The issue of fishing side-by-side with another flasher unit is a reoccurring one as well. Cluttered signals and frustration are caused by overlapping sonar signals. Fishing too close to each other while running a flasher unit can cause those problems, but not always. Variance in model (Vexilar and MarCum) will make a difference. There are several factors to consider with this though.

Water depth is a huge one. Many times you won’t have to worry as much when fishing in 5-6 feet of water. Sonar signals are not overlapping as much as they would when fishing in 30 feet of water. Most of the problems occur when anglers are fishing side-by-side while holding over a deep water crappie bite, or something of the sort. You get several anglers, all with flasher units, holding in the same area with conflicting sonar waves and things will get a little hectic. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, but other times there are precautions that can be made.

Running similar units next to each other, like a MarCum and a MarCum, will aid in the amount of clutter-up. Two anglers can sit side-by-side with MarCum units in 30 feet of water and knock out almost all, if not all, of the clutter on their screens. But when a Vexilar and a MarCum are sitting side-by-side, the MarCum user can knock out the clutter on his/her screen, but the Vexilar user won’t be able to clear everything.

Now, I’m not saying that the Vexilar unit is going to be unreadable, because you can adjust the Vexilar to knock out some of the opposing signal as well, but you will notice a difference between the two. The case brought up here (in part) is the added power that the MarCum unit provides, which enables it to knock out surrounding interference. There have been many times that I’ve sat next to, or near, another angler who is using an FL-18 (while I’m using a LX-5) only to have him ask why his screen is full of clutter while mine is virtually clear.

The ICE Series event out on Medicine Lake is one of those occurrences that come to mind. Several of us were fishing a deep water crappie bite (40 feet plus) and we were all crammed into an area no bigger than a basketball court. As I walked around talking with nearby anglers I noticed that those using Vexilars had cluttered up screens and it was nearly impossible to make out where their jig was. At this point I noticed a lot of those same anglers were rigging up bobbers and floats because they were getting frustrated with their flasher units. Now, the amount of productive time spent on the ice is being wasted.

However, as I walked by those who were using MarCum units, I noticed a slightly different story. I’m not going to say their screens were entirely clear, because with thirty flasher units running in a small area it’s going to obviously cause some problems regardless, but their screens were clear enough to where they could still effectively fish. To keep things short, I watched those with MarCum units continue to pull up fish.

Now again, keep in mind these situations are not the situations that you will run into every time out on the ice, but when I’m out guiding or expected to produce fish, I don’t like to have any hang-ups. It all comes down to limiting the amount of wasted time spent on the ice and increasing the amount of productive time catching fish.

With making the change from the FL-8 or FL-12 to the VX-1, LX-2, LX-3tc, LX-5, FL-18, or FL-20 you are going to gain the added zoom features (as well as a higher price tag, but remember, you get what you pay for… added features and productivity). And in my opinion, they are a must have when ice fishing. Having a zoom option only increases your productivity out on the ice. Now your fish’s mood indicator has a much broader playing field, allowing you to zoom in and focus on the area where the fish are. But, this doesn’t only limit you to the zoomed in area, you get to see the rest of the water column as well.

How does this work? What happens is your circular display screen will turn into two, causing one side of your flasher panel to read just the zoomed in area, and the other side to read the entire water column but in a condensed version. This will still enable you to spot roaming fish that come through outside the zoomed in area. It’s a very versatile tool to have for a variety of conditions. So, what’s the difference between the VX-1, LX-2, LX-3tc, LX-5, FL-18 and FL-20? All of them have zoom features, but again, they are entirely different units.

The zoom feature on the LX-3tc and LX-5 allows you to zoom throughout any part of the water column. When in the 20 or 40 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 5 foot zoom window or a 10 foot zoom window. When in the 80 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 10 or 20 foot zoom window. And in the 160 foot viewing mode you have the option of a 20 or 40 foot zoom window. This allows you to pinpoint on bottom hugging fish like perch and walleye out on Mille Lacs Lake, or smallmouth bass on Chequamegon Bay.

However, it also allows you to focus in on a school of suspended crappies in 40 feet of water. If the crappies are holding 15 feet off bottom, you can adjust your zoom window to show the depths of 20-30 feet, which will allow you to focus on the target zone, giving you a crisper and clear read-out of not only the fish, but you jig as well. So, whether you’re targeting bottom hugging fish or suspended fish, the LX-3tc and LX-5 have you covered when it comes to the zoom feature. And, the zoom feature can be adjusted anytime without causing you to lose your position. This means that you can adjust the zoom up and down without changing depth modes.

Fish will move throughout the water column and we need to move with them, and this feature makes doing so very easy. Almost every time I’m working over a suspended school of crappies I’ll use this feature. Now I can see a 10 foot zoom window covering the entire school of crappies on one side, and I can see the rest of the water column on the other side. Even when targeting suspended crappies in 55 feet of water, I can still effectively target those suspended fish with a zoom window. I’ll set the zoom window at either 10 or 20 feet, which will span over the area the fish are holding at, yet I’ll still have a condensed version of the entire water column in sight as well. I won’t have to only rely on just the 60 foot depth window to target those suspended fish, instead I can zoom in on the school and have a crisp, clear read-out.

The VX-1 and LX-2 also have a zoom feature, but it’s restricted to the bottom 5 or 10 feet (with the LX-2) and the bottom 5, 10 or 20 feet (with the VX-1).

The FL-20 has a couple zoom options allowing the user to have a half screen zoom window of the bottom 6 feet or bottom 12 feet of depth depending on your fishing situation.

The FL-18 also has a zoom feature, much like the zoom feature of the FL-20, but it’s restricted to only the bottom 6 feet and there is not a 12 foot option.

However, when using the VX-1, LX-2, FL-20, or FL-18, and fishing a suspended school of crappies in 45 feet of water, you won’t be able to zoom in on just the area where the fish are located at. And when targeting a school of fish in 45 feet of water, you will need to use the 60 foot depth window (for the FL-18 and FL-20) or the 80 foot depth window (for the LX-2) in order to see the entire water column, but when using the larger depth window you lose a lot of definition and targets are not as crisp and clear.

Sure you can get around this by just using the 40 foot window knowing that the fish are suspended up off the bottom, but we all know that there are times when crappies will cruise through on the bottom as well, and with the 40 foot depth window they will go undetected when working in depths deeper than 40 feet. This would mean that you would have to be fishing in 40 feet or less to effectively target the entire water column. Trying to decipher the activity level of a green flickering object in the larger depth range can be very, very tough, not to mention how effective you will be at depicting the exact movements of your jig.

But, when targeting bottom hugging fish like perch and walleye, the 6 foot zoom window of the FL-18, 6 or 12 foot zoom window of the FL-20, the 5 or 10 foot zoom window of the LX-2, or the 5, 10, or 20 foot zoom window of the VX-1 will work just fine. I know a lot of guides who run FL-18 and LX-2 units out on Mille Lacs Lake, Lake Winnibigoshish or Lake of the Woods, but they are primarily only targeting perch and walleye. Guides on Red Lake will use the FL-18 or LX-2 on occasion as well because they are only fishing in depths of about 13 feet or less. No need for a zoom window.

I spend a lot of time chasing crappies and sunfish, and they have a tendency to suspend more often than not during the winter months, so either the LX-3tc or LX-5 suits my fishing needs much better. And, when I need to target bottom hugging fish, I can do so just the same. It’s really a personal preference on how much use you will get out of the zoom feature, but remember, I’m trying to be the most productive I can be when I’m out on the ice, and I feel the LX-3tc or LX-5 allows me to do so.

Even when fishing the above mentioned lakes like Mille Lacs, Winni and Lake of the Woods, I can still zoom in on bottom hugging fish with the LX-3tc or LX-5. Those two units allow me to fish just about any body of water, and zoom in on any part of the water column. I firmly believe this has helped me land more fish. Not having the available zoom option when needed can make or break a day of fishing, especially when the fish go deep.

So we have the whole “zoom” thing covered, now what about the dual beam topic?

Dual beam is an outstanding feature to have on a flasher unit. It allows the user to really hone in on the desired area, as well as aid in avoiding other opposing nearby signals. Having the ability to switch to a narrower cone angle will reduce the area your cone covers, and in turn the area your cone has to cross with nearby cones of other flasher units. So when fishing next to other flasher units in deep water, you can switch to the narrower cone angle and reduce the amount of clutter-up on your display.

This also allows you to get a better understanding of what is “really” beneath you and not 20 yards to the side. A 19 or 20 degree cone angle in 40 feet of water is covering a large area of the bottom of the lake. However, an 8 or 9 degree cone angle is going to cut down on that area dramatically, and give you a much better readout of the immediate area (strike zone beneath you).

The other beauty of a dual beam unit is when fishing in weeds. By switching to the narrower cone angle, you reduce the amount of weeds that the sonar crosses, thus giving you a more clear readout and a better idea of where your jig is located. This really comes in handy when fishing lakes where the monster bluegills and slab crappies like burrowing themselves into the weeds.

The LX-5 and the Vexilar models all have the ability to work as a dual beam system.

Whether I need to use the zoom feature on suspended crappies, knock out an opposing signal with my Interference Rejection, or pull fish out of the thick weeds, I feel confident knowing that I’m prepared for any situation a day on the ice can throw at me.

I grew up fishing with the Vexilar units, and some of my closest friends and relatives use them, and I’m not here to ridicule or put-down anyone who uses a Vexilar. Vexilar makes a very good product and I’m not going to down-grade them in any way. I still have Vexilars that get used. It’s essentially a matter of personal preference and I’m just trying to lay down a few of things I’ve experienced as well as my personal opinion on the situation.

I spend a lot of time on the ice and I’m always looking at new products and trying to find ways to improve my productivity on the ice. I feel the LX-5 allows me to be the most productive I can be. So for me it’s the MarCum LX-5, but for you it might be something different.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt has listed some valuable information. If you actually want to see, touch, play with (and maybe even purchase), we have the new MarCum's in stock. We also have the Vexilar's in stock. Both are set up and ready for people to play with. That would give everyone the ability to take Matt's comments and actually apply them to the real unit.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

Reel Fishing and Tackle, Madison Lake, MN

Matt and Joe 507.2432.3388 [email protected]

Well as anticipated by all there have finally been changes to the flasher market. I have seen the corporate flyer from Vexilar. And the flat screen Fl-12 and Fl-20 they look amazing. crystal clear display and and without the rim around the flasher seems alot slimmer and no more snow or ice in the rim. excited to see it out and about, wish i would have waited a year to update my flasher.... but if it aint broke-why fix it.

Quote:

This also allows you to get a better understanding of what is “really” beneath you and not 20 yards to the side. A 19 or 20 degree cone angle in 40 feet of water is covering a large area of the bottom of the lake. However, an 8 or 9 degree cone angle is going to cut down on that area dramatically, and give you a much better readout of the immediate area (strike zone beneath you).

Thanks Matt, good read...

Is there a chart or a formula that you can calculate

cone size x depth = area

O.K. here is a question about the Marcums- Do they have an adjustable diplay like the Vexilars do or is it fixed in one position? I like the shuttle that the vexilars have so you can adjust the diplay to keep neck pains to a minimum. I like some of the other options on the Marcums and I am going to go new this year, just don't know which way yet.

Neck pain? I never had neck pain with either Vexilar or MarCum, maybe lower back pain but that's because I sit close to the ice. Now sight fishing that's a different story altogether neck pain and back pain combined. frown.gif MarCum's have the same vertical adjustable head as the Vexilars. Now if your looking to get the unit up a little higher as to not promote next strain confused.gif I have seen guys flip a 5 gal. pail over and placed the unit on top.

The MarCum LX-5 gives you a whole lot more at alot less price to you plus it's made in the U.S.A. and has enjoyed a full season of rave reviews. Why would you want to pay more? The dual beam LX-5 is simply the best there is!

It's pretty simple if you fish over 160' than get a Vex if you don't than get a MarCum. The LX-5 ice shuttle also comes fully contained in a padded softpack that is standard equipment and not an added cost like Vexilars is grin.gif

Having a fully adjustable and lockable zoom is fantastic!Hole hop flats effortlessly without fiddling with knobs and you simply have the ultimate in shallow water performance.

Who would have thought the FL-18/LX-3 debate would have led us to where we are today. When it's all said and done MarCum has done the very best to provide a superior product at a consumer friendly price and that's what it's all about..

Founded in 1960,VEXILAR,Inc.

Has a longhistory of bringing revoltionary technology to the sport fishing industry.

just some of the Vexilar firsts include:the frirst liquid crystal display,the first CRT, the first ever split-sceen zoom flasher,also the first staight line paper graphs.

I can't wait to see some more first's out of Vexilar,

I've spent some time with both the FL-12 and FL-20 models. Both are nice units, not going to bash them at all. The read-out is very nice and the face-lift Vexilar gave them really adds to their quality and viewing angles.

What I like about the new Vexilars is the ability to switch to a low-power mode, which cuts off half the power being sent out through the ducer. This will really benefit those who target a lot of shallow water fish. The FL-20 also has a night-mode which allows you to drop the brightness off the read-out. This will be much more easy on the eyes.

Over all, I'd say Vexilar has taken an extra step and created a nice unit in the FL-12 and FL-20.

Quote:

Does anyone know if the FL-20 and FL-12 still blend to compose the med. signal strength color? MarCum has shown us having that extra LED helps to eliminate signal clutter and enhances the display.

I donno Tim, I have never had a problems with blelded signal color on my vex-18 and I really have never had anyone say anything about "signal strenth color" the vex display is just diferent from the marcum it's all in how you read the flasher you own nothing more, I for one like the fuz on the green when a fish is close to the cone angle but that is just me,

I find your statement odd Matt saying that you like the low power mode on a Vexilar . Why would you need low power mode if the unit is working as it should . I have yet to use an fl-12 or fl-20 but have used the Fl-8 and Fl-18 and they are good units but this low power mode really makes no sense to me . Clearing clutter is one thing but why cut out your eyes . With Marcum you just turn your gain down but your signal strength ,as in power, never changes . And why should it .? confused.gif Just like a squelch on a CB . You don't cut down power to receive or send a signal and its something that Marcum has addressed by not needing the bandaide "S" cable or low power mode .

I like the idea of the flat screen on the new vexes because I fish alot in the open and snow flying in around the dial and not so easy removed is a pain in arse and I am open on the concept of being able to dim the lights but low power mode makes no sense to me in the new age of electronics . Heck even a stereo doesn't use decreased power .We want a clear and definitive strong signal not fuzz by decreasing power .

TD

The low power mode is intended for shallow water fishing. It gives off less noise/return and cuts the out-put in half. The low power mode doesn't really change the appearance of the read-out. The night mode is what changes the appearance, which basically reduces the brightness of the read-out. The low power mode is more designed for shallow and weedy areas, which can aid in helping you find the bottom.

I run an LX-5 and I've used it in shallow water with much success, both weedy and non-weedy areas. I'm just relaying some of my observations on the new Vexilar units...

I had my start with a FL-8 and after using it once I knew that I couldn't go fishing without it. I used it many years and thought it was the best thing going until I took a chance on the MarCum to see what all the hype was about.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the MarCum from top to bottom, but being comfortable with the Vex I was second guessing everything on the MarCum as I thought there could be nothing better than the tried and true Vex flasher. The super fine detail and shallow water operation was great on the MarCum whereas I had to add a suppressor to the Vex to get any adjustability from the gain knob in shallow waters, but with the MarCum it was not needed. The display is very sharp and easy to read. The FL-8 I had did not have a zoom function so I could not compare that to the MarCum, but having that option is very nice.

The soft case also grew on me and that is something the Vex didn't come with. The only thing I miss on my Vex was the floating transducer, but fishing with an open floor in a shelter such as an Otter it became a non-issue.

Overall I have nothing against the Vexilar unit as it is a super unit, but now having the MarCum I believe I have the best unit available on the market today. If MarCum ceased to exist and I needed a new flasher I would have no regrets getting another Vexilar, but right now I feel the MarCum is the flasher for me until something better comes along.

I have owned and fished with a FL-8 for 3-4 years and can say it was a very good Vexilar.It did what I needed.

I figured it was time to upgrade and talked to 4-5 guys on what they thought was a good locator to buy.They all told me to buy a LX3 or a LX5 for numerous reasons.

I believe that both the Vex and the Marcum are good and will get the job job.

I bought the LX5.

Yep, exactly.

I caught many a fish with the Vexilar and believe it's a darn good unit. I feel the MarCum has a few extra features that bump it up a few notches and really enjoyed using it last season. I can't wait to get it out again this year.

I respect your opinion and observations as always Matt but maybe I'm missing something with your original statement on the low power mode .

I have used the FL-8 and the Fl-18 and understand quite well that the "S" cable on the fl-8 or low power mode on the fl-18 is meant for shallow water but either way it is not a new feature with the advent of the fl-12 or fl-20 .I guess therein lies my point and it's not meant to be argumentative .I guess I was just surprised you mentioned that in your observations or maybe I'm taking it out of context or reading too much into your statement and if so I apologize but it just seemed like this low power mode as stated has an edge that vexilar has over marcums and I personally never found that to be true while using an fl-8 or fl-18 nor do I believe at the moment that the fl-12 or fl-20 will either but who knows till I get a chance to try one . LOL

That flat screen though and maybe the dimming lights may be feature's that are worth looking at or even a lead marcum may wish to follow but the low power mode is old news as far as I'm concerned and marcums handle the shallow water well .

Nothing wrong with Vexilar though and just as many fish will be caught using either their older versions or the new . An experienced flasher user will understand more whats going on using an Fl-8 than a newbie using the latest and greatest whether it be marcum or vex . wink.gif And yes I too am a Marcum user since the LX-3 and am getting an LX-5 any day now but one which I have used also .Heck I'm not even sure I'm going to to do the 3tc color upgrade to my Lx-3 because I'm so comfortable with the yellow orange red colours just like the fl-8 lads are comfortable with theirs without zoom and can read them well .Myself I find green burns my eyes at night yet yellow ,orange,red dont .

TD

My main point was that the low power mode is built in with the FL-20 and that you don't need an S Cable. I suppose I should have stated that in my previous post. I understand what you're saying, my bad.

The only difference between using the S Cable on a unit and having the FL-20 is that you can turn the low power mode on and off with the FL-20 at the turn or a knob. When using the S Cable you have to take the S Cable off in order to jump back up to full power mode. The FL-20 makes it more convenient to go from low to high power.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the S Cable and low power modes will actually make your interference worse. They do not cut down on interference, it's actually the opposite. This is because you have to crank the gain up and that will cause more interference...

Excellent info from all, and appreciated.

Matt, (or anyone), maybe you can explain why the Marcums are limited to a 160' depth? It would seem to me, with more power and a narrower cone angle, that it would perform better deeper...

I have the 300' mode on my FL-18 (we fish Kokanee at depths over 200' and lakers in open water from 200-300'). Even using the dual beam option of a friends, it is basiclly useless that deep, no clarity or seperation, basically just depth. From what has been said, the greater power and narrower cone, accompanied with greater IR, should make the Marcum LX-5 THE unit to use in deeper water...

How bout it? confused.gif

Matt - I guess if it ain't broke why fix it applies here. The trend I have been seeing is the guys are keeping there Vexes and moving to the MarCum for 160' or shallower applications. Face it most guys I know fish less than 60' of water 95% of the time. Now if your in Laker nation and that's what you like to fish you can bet I would have a Vex. I know of one of MarCum's Pro Staff that has asked about MarCum going a bit deeper. I would say that it's being bantered around the shop and will see what happens. MarCum does a pretty good job with surpises and keeping them close to the vest. Case in point the soon to be released VX-1 flasher and VS250 camera.

I was stationed with a guy in Okinawa when I was in the Air Force from Kalispell. Can't remember his name but he was a big Bronco fan. grin.gif

Tim,

Thanks! Well If somebody has already done it,(kept thier Vex for deep water, I guess I have permission!!) cool.gif

(Honest Honey, ALL the fellas are doin it...)

We fish deep water mostly for lakers, but a lake I fish has been really really hot lately for 3-6 pound Kokanees feeding on mysis shrimp at 240 feet! That my friend takes some finess, a long rod, LOW stretch line and one hell of a sensitive tip! But MAN is it fun when they get about 25' below the ice and wake up!

But even with the 300' mod on the Vex, its still pretty much just blobs on the screen...

Perhaps Marcum can come out with a Western States Edition for us deep water folk...Hello...is anybody listening...?

Thats the only thing keeping me from justifying the expense...

Mike,

I can see where having that deeper option would benefit you, as I'm sure there are others in your situation as well. This is something that has been brought up and the people at MarCum have taken it into consideration and like Tim said, it wouldn't surprise me if you see a deeper option in the future from MarCum.

If you spend a lot of time chasing those deep fish, then a Vexilar is going to be your cup of tea...

Thanks Matt for the post great info. I printed it off and have read it. I have an older fl-8 right now and I am leaning towards an lx-5 at the moment. It looks like Marcum's cut out interference better and the adjustable zoom sounds pretty cool. The main question is why would the added power of the Marcums cause problems? I haven't heard of that yet. The lx-3 and lx-5 look like great units. Is the superfine line a big upgrade over the lx-3? I know that switching to the 8* cone angle on the lx-5 would help with interference around other anglers. How well does the lx-3 (20*) handle interference around other anglers? Anyways thanks for all of the information brought up here it is really helping me take the next step, be it Vex or Marcum.

Thanks,

Craig

The biggest advantage to me with choosing the LX-5 over the LX-3tc is the dual-beam option. The super fineline is nice, but having the option to switch to the narrow beam really comes in handy on several conditions. I use the narrow beam quite often, whether I'm fishing in deep water, weeds, looking to improve my interference when fishing amongst large groups, etc..

The LX-3tc will handle interference very well, and you'll be able to knock-out most, if not all, of the opposing nearby signals as long as you're not sitting with 30 other flashers. Once you get into an area where a lot of flashers are in use, then you're going to get some clutter-up no matter what. Your screen won't be unreadable, but it won't be completely clear either. A couple flashers nearby and it won't be much of a problem though...

Thanks Matt, What is your take on the power issue? Pro and Cons when looking at both the Vex and the Marcum. Also, what is the warrenty like on the Marcums? I take that you ice fish quit a bit, did the lx-5 hold up in the nasty weather?

Thanks again,

Craig