• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring

Question

Ok, I have been adding quite a few new electronics to my boat this year and I have them all installed, transducers mounted....but, I know nothing about wiring. Any suggestions for wiring? I am adding two FL 18's, a X-65 and a cigarette lighter. So, my question is this something I can figure out myself or do I have to have someone who knows what they are doing do it. I have a fuse box in the boat so I would imagine I could get power there. I also have a couple auxillary swithes that don't do anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.ScottS

10 answers to this question

Alright Scott here goes,

Even though you have a power source in your fuse box it is recommended by lowrance that the connection be made directly to the battery to prevent any type of interference. I have never read anything similar from vexilar. But whatever direction you decide to take, make sure that you have an inline fuse as close to the power source as possible. Lowrance recommends a 3 amp fuse and vexilar recommends a 1 amp fuse. Now, The other thing that you need to make sure of is the wire gauge. Both vexilar and Lowrance recommend 18 gauge wire. Yes, 18 gauge. I always thought that was a little small but it does the job. Your cigarette lighter shouldn't be so difficult. That you can hook right up into the fuse panel. Just remember that whatever you plug into that lighter needs to have a fuse in line. Most lighter plug ins have the fuse in them. The best advice anyone could give you is
"MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAS A PROPER FUSE IN LINE." You and I both know you got some pricy equipment, and we also know that fuses are a heck-of-a lot cheaper than new equipment. I'm sure you can do this by yourself. Its also a good idea to check everything twice BEFORE you connect it to the battery. Yup, thats from personal experience. Let me know if you need something else. keep the line wet, Matt

Geez, Scott. If only you lived closer to me I could take care of all you problems in no time. I love rigging boats, and I have had a lot of weird electrical problems over the years. The worst issues being the Leech tourney. Wires were cut and shorting all over the place and luckily I had enough fuses! Re-wired and repaired everything in 1/2 hour on the lake in really rough water.

Get some good gauge wire and try to minimize the length of wire from all running to the battery. Tie into the fuse box or find a good power supply source and a ground. I've had problems with interference with the boat motor and other electronics with bad power supplies and bad grounds. Its really tough to explain on here without knowing the boat and what not.

Scott,
Fuses are bad news and a way of the past. Install inline breakers or route your wiring through a breaker panel. Just make sure you have the correct sizes in place.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I may give it a try tonight. I bought the mounting kits for all the equipment I got so it include inline fuses, the wires and all the attachments. I just wasn't sure if I should run it directly to the battery or use power at the fuse box.

The breaker suggestion is a good idea. Anyone else used them on their electronics?

Bigguns, you live fairly close to me. I know you just got a new boat. After you are done rigging it up, why don't you come over and wire mine?ScottS

You make it sound so easy! LOL I've been so busy out in my boat pretending that I don't get anything else done. And how did you know about my boat? Flyin fish sure does talk a lot doesn't he? I'd be happy to help you out any way I can. It's something to keep us busy while the icce is in the way. Its obvious you're done on the ice. Otherwise you wouldn't be working on that boat. lol

And Flying fish found his puppy. He got a black lab. 7 weeks old, name:Piper. Cute little girl. She had her first accident on the new floor today. Shes not getting her nose rubbed in it yet.

[This message has been edited by Bigguns3 (edited 03-28-2002).]

I can do a few things pretty well. However, I am not an electrician, nor do I presume to believe I can save some bucks by trying to "do it myself." I've paid too many folks over the years to correct my work and do it properly.

When it comes to wiring a boat, I get professional help. For me, that's the cheapest way.

Hi Scott, If you're planning on keeping this boat for awhile you may want to talk to Jim Wentworth at Fish - Lectronics. I know that he can wire everything, put a loop charge system in so that you can keep your trolling motor and accessorie batteries charged for long periods of time. This would be great if you end up doing any extended fishing and can't get to electricity. I know he does all of the boats for the Linder's and Terry Tuma. I have no idea what he charges. Jim is in Brainerd and his number is 218 693-4375.

Good Luck!
Scott

I should have made a new post for this. I would call it "Trying to wire a &*%$#@!! Boat". Today I was trying to install my new LMS 350A. But before I put the new one in, I had to take the old on out. Taking the old one out was the problem because who ever had put the old locator in had zip tied all the wires to every thing imaginable. What really puzzled me was how the heck they got in the tiny spaces. I **** near got my arm stuck for good trying to cut the ties. Moral of the story is if you ever wire your boat for anything, make sure it can be easily undone.

I did it myself and it worked! I got both Vexilars wired and working fine. I did not attempt that cigarette lighter. I will have to look closer at the fuse box as to how wires hook up to it. I am just happy my vexilars work.ScottS