• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 depth finders on one boat

slotfish

Question

Hello everyone,
I have a Crestliner w/ a steering wheel and a trolling motor on the front. I have a depth finder by the captain's chair and would like to have one up by the trolling motor. Would I simply put another transducer in back next to the one that is already there? An immediate concern would be interfearance simillar to using one or more Vexilars in a fish house (which can be miserable). What are the options? Also, is there an affordable and effective flasher type depth finder that is effective in the summer? With the accuracy of the Vexilar FL-8 in the winter I can only imagine how great it would be to have the same advantage in the summer.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by slotfish (edited 03-26-2002).]

3 answers to this question

Slotfish:
If you are looking to put a 2nd locator in the front to use while running the trolling motor, you would want to attach the transducer to the trolling motor. That way you would be able to follow the bottom contour better since what you are looking at on the locator is directly below you. If you mounted the transducer in the back, you would be seeing bottom contours that you have already gone over. Besides, by mounting the transducer on the trolling motor you get away from any interference you may encounter. From what I know, interference comes from the transducer signals, not the units, so the further you place the transducers from each other the better off you are. Right now I am running a Garmin 240 in the back and a Zercom Clearwater Classic in the front. For your front locator you really can't beat either the Vexilar or Zercom units if you are looking at flasher units. Just make sure you get one with a "puck" style transducer and not the "ice" transducer. That way you won't have any trouble mounting it to the motor. Good luck..

I have a Lowrance X-65 on my 15' with a stern transducer. I have used a FL-18 all winter and plan to add a new transducer to use it on the trolling motor. It attaches to the trolling motor with electrial ties. I haven't seen any in stores yet, but they do have them at the service center in Bloomington. I had my FL-18 reprogramed there. Very great people to help you with all of your questions and parts. If I remember correctly, the entire kit was $60.00.
The FL-18 has bottom lock, which allows for wave action. I am really looking forward to have all of the features of that unit at the trolling motor.

I just mounted 2 FL-18's to my boat. One in front one in back. It was very easy and I recommend purchasing the kits. They make a trolling motor mount kit and a high speed kit for the back end. They come with everything you need.ScottS