• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Converting 1974 25HP johnson to elec. start?

rodbuilder

Question

Hi all, Just wondering if it is possible to convert my old Johnson to electric start? I don't need this because its hard to start, I need this to recharge my batteries while on the water. I am currently running 2 deep cycles and cannot get a full day on the water out of them!!! I NEED a way to charge them on the water!!!...Please help!

4 answers to this question

Being able to recharge you're batteries depends on whether the motor actually has an alternator and a charging system, not if it is electric start. Most outboards that are manual start don't have the alternator, some older ones that are electric start are also without the alternator. To find out about the electrical system of you're particular motor, go to the library and check out one of several repair manuals that will describe in detail what you have, and if it can even charge a battery. But even more important, is why are you draining two batteries in only one day? Is it in trolling? Have you checked the battery cells? Does you're boat have a short that is robbing you of the power? Without knowing more specifics, I couldn't specifically say what's wrong.

Rodbuilder, musky hunter is right. But even if you have an alternator on boat, it will barely help with charging batteries, and you will have to run motor constantly. Outboards don't have a big alternator (or also charging coil), it's barely made to keep battery full while cruising. If you have a dead battery, you won't be able to recharge it so you can use it, unless you travel with motor for many hours.
That's why many of us have to buy expensive chargers($$) and plug them in when we get home.
I would look into finding out why they discharge, an extra battery, a solar charger, or (like I did) a small outboard for trolling/kicker instead of electric.
If you have a older heavy boat, second outboard would be my choice. I have a big 19' fiberglass, and use electric trolling motor just for small areas. If I want to troll, I start a small 10 hp and it will use same gas of big motor. This helps a lot my batteries.

Val

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 03-27-2002).]

For what it would cost you to buy the parts to upgrade that 25 year old motor to electric start (and adding some type of charging system) you could buy a nice small self contained generator.

The posts above are correct. You need to find out why you are going through the charge on two deep cycle batteries in one day of fishing. It sounds like you have excessive current draw (Short?) or your batteries are old and have lost their reserve capacity.