• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Otter medium house

Dave

Question

8 answers to this question

Dave,

I think you will be happy with your Otter. I have 4 of the Lodges and went with these units because of easy set up and portability.

One hint that I can offer is that if it is really cold out, take the extra time to pack DRY snow around the outside edge of the house. Some like to put the "slush" from their drilling around the house and then find themselves frozen in to the ice. This has resulted in the canvas around the bottom being torn to get it loose.

Another thing I did this year was to put the custom made seat units in my houses. This really added to the comfort of my units.

Hope you enjoy your house.

Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle & Guide Service
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Beckwith (edited 12-15-2000).]

Dave

Jeff's is right on with the slush tip, if it does freeze in be very careful chipping it out. Another thing- when you are folding it up to leave be careful not to let the canvas get into the pivot/hindge bracket that can pinch your canvas and create little holes. I spanned the width of mine with a cedar board 1.5x2" then took a board 10"x22" this sits on the cross board and props against the "bow" creating a cheap seat in the front end. I sit on my dry box, this seating arrangement takes up very little room, imprtant to me for my longrange L.O.W trips.
I love my otter!

------------------

Be sure to stow all of your gear before dropping the canvas down. If the canvas gets put between the equipment and the side of the sled it can wear holes thru it in a hurry. I wipe the poles down with a rag sprayed with WD-40, it seems to make set up a little easier. I also put a piece of chip board in the bottom of the sled. My seat slid around the bottom a little more than I liked. For the snow part I carry a cheap plastic snow shovel in the sled.

Rob

Where can I find the otter house's and do they come put together or do you have to buy the sled sepperate. How much is the medium house.As far as the snow to hold down the canvas Ive seen guys put 1/2 inch rebar in the bottom to hold it down.

LONEICERANGER

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Cabela's has them and they do require assembly. I would think other sporting goods stores like Gander Mtn, Burger Brothers, or Holiday Plus will have them as well. They sell out fast and demand has been high...so don't wait too long.

The retail Price is $144 for the sled, $299 for the Cover and poles etc. $89 for the seat. I think the tow bar is $59 (not sure but it's close and $30 for the Rod/accessory rack.