• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Size Trolling Motor?

bigpike

Question

Have a 14' Glastron fiberglass boat. Was wondering what size would be the best to use. Looking to stay cheap but still push the boat along without struggling - old boat and don't want to spend much.

4 answers to this question

i am afraid that it will be hard to find one that will move your rig well and be cheap. keep checking the forums for a used one. 60 # would be good. i have a # 74 on an 18 ft glass. works great! del

If you can attach a bow mount, you can get away with less power(it's easier to manuever and pull the boat from the bow). I only have a 55# thrust minn kota Powerdrive bowmounted on my 17'5" Lund Fisherman that has an 8 foot beam and weighs a good deal. Unless I'm using the trolling motor to speed troll on a windy day, this is all the power I need.

I you have to transom mount a trolling motor, I would certainly recommend something bigger 60 or 70 pounds of thrust.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota