• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rodholders

Question

I was just wondering what everybody was using for rodholders in their boats. What are some of the pro's and con's of the ones you are using and what whould you do differently if were to go out and buy new ones? Thanks........

7 answers to this question

I have Roberts holders on my river rig.I haven't lost a pole yet,but yet is the key word.The plastic is too flexible and well I just don't trust them.On my other boat I had Cabelas quick set type rod holders(made by Scotty)I like these,they are tough and built well and allow you to set the hook when your rod is still in the holder.I bought two more for my new boat.

The best rod holders I've owned or used are Setzer. They were a small Chicago area company that catered almost entirely to Lake Michigan trollers -- Setzer was bought by Du Bro and are available under that name. They cost more than most, but they are super.

Another vote for Ram Rod. Great flush mount install, tough, easy in and out, recommended to me for walleyes and muskies by several folks at Reeds. I used them all last fall with no problems.

I have to give it up to the Scottys. The Rams are better, but for the price I can't argue withg the quality that comes with the Scottys. I've used them for everything from walleyes to muskies without a problem.

I'm assuming that you're trolling for walleyes and not great lakes trout and salmon. I used Scotty's all last year and am getting two more, they're about $20.00 ea. and represent good quality at a fair price. I never had a problem with the Scottys and they are adjustable for the "pitch and roll" that you want the rod to be at. But it's possible to pinch you're finger when locking the rod into the holder if you're not used to them. In the high end of rod holders are Ram's. They have a great ball bracket and a nice shape, but cost substantially more than the Scotty's.

I bought 2 Scotty fish holders last year and my only complaint is that one will pinch your fingers on them when turning the lock shocked.gif ...otherwise the quality is good and priced right! Plus it easy to get the rod out if you have a strike!!!

[This message has been edited by fishspicermn (edited 03-22-2002).]