• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummers are good! (pics included)

buzzsaw

That is a great hummingbird shot Buzz. I haven't seem many around this year. Normally see several at the feeders and flowers, but not this summer. By the way, my wife is a real hummingbird fanatic and also loved the photo. Great job!

Hummers may be good, but your photo is great! All of them.

Here in the Cities early this spring, I put out and maintain 3 hummer feeders; I now have one tenative little guy checking one of them out. We out out one hummer feeder at the cabin mid July, and we have 2 regular visitors. Go figure.

I have some pics of the hummer, but nothiung that can compare to your shot. I think I can speak for most that many of us newbie photographers are trying to learn from other's examples here.

It may be a good idea to include zoom length, ISO, shutter speed, and f-stop values. This would give a better understanding how pics turn out. Just a thought.

Best hummer shot I've seen in awhile. Very good work, Mr. Saw. grin.gif

I like the sense of sinuous movement shown in the hummer's body position, and the bokeh is excellent. So much of any nature animal or bird portrait is about what's in the background, and this background sets off the hummer just right. Like he's heading out of the light and toward darkness.

It could be my monitor, but your recent images have appeared a bit undersaturated. As you know, I'm not one to appreciate too-saturated photos, and I appreciate lifelike color, not too much color. This, and the green-backed heron shot, as I recall, in particular, appear just a shade under lifelike saturation. But, of course, there's that monitor thing. And color saturation and cropping are completely subjective and in the hands of the artist. Just IMHO, and food for thought.

I agree on posting exif data. It's a great way for others to learn from your experience, and a conscientious way to give back to the board that has taught us all so much. Posting your camera body, lens, focal length, flash used and what setting, as well as the standard exif data of iso, f-stop and shutter speed, give those less experienced hands a starting point when they want to try for specific shots. Especially true of hummers, which can be tough to nail.

I'd like to encourage everyone to post their photo info with each image. I've done it a lot, but have been hit or miss, too. And I'll post a reminder on my computer screen to always do it. That's if I ever get out into the woods to shoot again. Haven't taken a nature photo for a month. Arrgghh!! mad.gif

Hey guys, a big thanks again, those are some hefty compliments and I appreciate them! I agree with showing the exif info. First off a few people have asked me via e-mail how I got this picture the way it is..ie... like it was in the light with a dark background. Here's the story, I have a large oak tree in my backyard with a few Hummer feeders dropping down off the branches with the decoy string and late in the day the sun hits at a perfect angle and in the background I have a bunch of bushes that are shaded by the big Oak... therefore you have a dark green background and the light area's are where light is leaking through or under the oak and hitting the bushes... really just lucky how the background worked out, but nonetheless I learned something new. My setting's are done with the hope of getting a sharp picture of the hummer floating in place in the air with his wings showing motion..

Nikon D200 outfitted w/Nikkor 80-400mm AF VR lens

F7.1

ISO: 400

1/400 sec SS

Focal length: wide open at 400mm

no flash fill

I have a bunch of other pics taken at F8 that I have yet to post process and plan on using my 70-210mm D lens and getting closer, besides it is a much faster focusing lens. The two mainthings I look for when setting up for a photo situation are: good light & background. I can mess with my settings all day long, but if those two things are not in place, forget about it, I won't usually waste my time anymore. Hope that helps. wink.gif

P.S. Steve, I used to oversaturate pics, and after seeing how other pro's and serious amatuers are doing it, I decided to back off that saturation slide and if anything use the lighten and darken shadows where neccessary and play in the curves, but not too much.

Just to give everybody a good idea the difference between taking pics in good light vs harsh light... these were taken Wednesday afternoon in my backyard over lunch...

hummernosedeep2lb5.jpg

Can you believe it, it's actually sitting still, didn't think they ever did that? tongue.gif

hummerontrumpet2zn5.jpg

hummerbyflower2xx5.jpg

The good thing is there are probably fifteen active Hummers between me and my neighbors yard now, so I'll just have to get out when the light is better and get some nicer shots.

Early and mid summer bring almost exclusively males to nectar feeders. That's because male hummers don't share in the rearing of young. The females focus on insects during that time, not nectar, because of the protein content needed to get those young fledged and out of the nest, so you don't see them at nectar feeders.

Late July in this part of the country is when the young start to get out and fly around, and August is the month of the hummer, when all the males that have been coming to nectar feeders so far in the summer are joined by the females and all the young hummers. August is also when migration begins.

Thanks for the breakdown Steve, I just got done reading all that same info in a book tonight and was going to answer my own question.

Here's a little "poetry in motion" (Thomas Dolby)

hummerdarkbkgnd2sl3.jpg

Mike, I just can't get over how good you're getting at post processing. These shots are taken in extremely harsh midday light and you're still getting them to look this good. That's some good PP work. That's a nice setup you got too. I am assuming that by the direction the Lilly is hanging that you have it tied up very close to the feeder. It looks so much better to have them coming towards a flower than a feeder.

The sun was a killer!! (I'm watching the Twins game in the 10th inning and I can't believe Torri actually took a pitch)!! crazy.gif

and now he gets a two out two RBI hit!!

back on subject... Tom, I would hope that me choosing the correct settings would have a "little bit" to do with pictures turning out the way they do, thats like me coming over to your house for dinner and afterwards saying "nice pots and pans". The feeders are all over the yard and I planted a variety of Hummingbird friendly flowers in past years, now I just set up where the sun dictates and fire away. The feeder is about fifteen feet from the Asiatic Tiger Lilly and they frequent it as much as the feeders. As far as post processing goes, like I said in other posts... GET THE SCOTT KELBY BOOK on PHOTOSHOP POST PROCESSING. It's the best, hands down. I hope to see some of your bird work soon Tom, seems like you don't post much anymore.

Mike,

You're passive aggressive posts are starting to get a little old man. I didn't accuse you of not knowing what you were doing, I complimented you on your post processing. The simple fact of the matter is that you shot these in the middle of the day, and your newly learned abilities with photoshop elements is what is making these very harshly lit photos look good. Listen man--I'm not mad at you, and I hope you'll take this for what it's worth, and I further hope that your shooting continues to improve.

mad.gif

I hope you too just have a misunderstanding... cant have a couple of my fave picture dudes throwing words around like that... please kiss and make up and post more pictures. wink.gif

Steve- a huge congrats on getting paid to do something that you love. I know you have worked very hard to get where you are!... Dont forget about us who need the "SW" fix every now and then.. I look every day for picts on this site!

Tom and Mike:

We consider you both tremendously valuable members here at FM, and the bird watching and photo sharing boards are supported by the fine work you both do. We appreciate greatly the time you both take to show us your work and help out with tips and techniques. So please take care of your own business somewhere out of sight and let's get back to having fun, which is what this site is all about.

Deal? grin.gif

DD: What's the SW fix? I'll do some processing of my own and get up some shots. I've got butterflies from a recent outing I'll put on the photo board.

Steve,

Well said.I don't want to see this forum move away from it's original intent,which I believe was a place for all of us average photo buffs to share and learn from others and to maybe bring some new folks into the hobby.Some of you produce some great images but I don't want people to not display their work here because they feel they have to meet a certain standard.

I was wondering just last night why we have not seen much of your work lately. You are so good at what you do.

To Tom and Buzz,

I really enjoy the images the two of you post on here and I hope to see more in the future.

Thanks floating minnow. You're about to see more. I've been busy with other projects, and have had little time to shoot lately. With the full-time job and the need to spend my free time as a photo businessman, which involves marketing and other duties, sometimes actual shooting takes a back seat. And I've been working on framing two large commissions, as well as shooting and processing a wedding.

There's not enough time in the day! grin.gif

DD: Thanks for clearing that up. Darn typos. grin.gif

I'll be the stand up guy and say "Sorry Tom" I just hope you now understand why I always seem to misunderstand you. A tribute to Tom while he was in the field last winter taking duck pics.

tomwilsonjrna6.jpg